Cable colours

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the subject of cable core colours I thought the following may be of interest.

Speaking for myself, I thought the last colour change was barmy but we have no voice in these things ( Like putting up with solid strand 2.5 T/E)

Starting with the 1916, 7th edition :-

L1 was red until 2004 when it became brown.

L2 was yellow then white, then yellow and is now black.

L3 was blue, then green (yes) then blue again and is now grey.

Neutral was green then black and is now blue.

Earth was black then green and is now green yellow.

Wonder what colour they'll be next year ??

Well the change to L1 and N was to bring it in line with the flexible cord colours. It was a bit nuts having different colours at ceiling roses etc.

And of course those colours were changed originally due to colour blindness issues.

On the subject of cable core colours I thought the following may be of interest.Speaking for myself, I thought the last colour change was barmy but we have no voice in these things ( Like putting up with solid strand 2.5 T/E)

Starting with the 1916, 7th edition :-

L1 was red until 2004 when it became brown.

L2 was yellow then white, then yellow and is now black.

L3 was blue, then green (yes) then blue again and is now grey.

Neutral was green then black and is now blue.

Earth was black then green and is now green yellow.

Wonder what colour they'll be next year ??
everything PINK

please ? :p :^O? :|

Never heard of the colour blindness issue Mr Sworld, I thought it was to match European colours ?:|

Do you not think that they shot us in the foot with the blue/black cross-over ??

Deke

Red is the most common colour blindness, with green coming a close second. Hence the change to brown and green/yellow a while ago. Europe still has some odd colours being used for phase and neutral. They haven't all harmonised yet!

As for the blue/black cross over I agree. I deal with 3-phase all the time at work and it took a while to get in my head! Personally I prefer to mark 3-phase as L1, L2, L3 and N nowadays at junctions that mix the old and new colours. It's prevents any confusion. :)

Never heard of the colour blindness issue Mr Sworld, I thought it was to match European colours ?:| Do you not think that they shot us in the foot with the blue/black cross-over ??

Deke
The clue is in the use of the term "harmonisation" a classic piece of EU wonk-speak and a dead giveaway as to the instigators. It's all part of the hateful process of "ever greater union" that is writ large through every piece of legislation, diktat and directive the is imposed on us from abroad.

Changing the conductor couloring was a deliberate move to facilitate the transfer of labour across the EU 'zone'. The UK was anomolous and had to be whipped into line.

Well the change to L1 and N was to bring it in line with the flexible cord colours. It was a bit nuts having different colours at ceiling roses etc.
Ah Mr. Straw Man, we've been expecting you! Of course it would be far too great an imposition and inconvenience to ask UK wholesalers to stock flexibles with R/Blk/Green cores so we have to change the whole fixed wiring infrastructure of the nation just so that ceiling roses don't look 'odd'. That is a complete crock. This has the unmistakeable reek of the EU commission all over it. I'm gonna have a ruddy good dig around the EU Comm/ODPM site archives and find out where this actually originated, in Britain or Brussels?

And of course those colours were changed originally due to colour blindness issues.
Are Trinity House planning to change the bouyage, S.O.L.A.S. and marine signals regs (port-starboard-masthead-stern lights) anytime soon seeing as red/green coulour-blindness is the most prevelant form? Or will the EU force the change after consultation with yet more friggin' "experts". Trust me this is about us ceding control (they call them 'competencies') to Europe.

Right chaps, smoke me a kipper, I'm going in! X(

Mr s is right about the colour blindness. The colours in flexibles was changed in the early 70s for that reason, as brown and blue were not affected and the green/yellow could be easily identified. Some other EU countries have to change as well. I think the germans used black for live.

The clue is in the use of the term "harmonisation" a classic piece of EU wonk-speak and a dead giveaway as to the instigators. It's all part of the hateful process of "ever greater union" that is writ large through every piece of legislation, diktat and directive the is imposed on us from abroad.Changing the conductor couloring was a deliberate move to facilitate the transfer of labour across the EU 'zone'. The UK was anomolous and had to be whipped into line.

Ah Mr. Straw Man, we've been expecting you! Of course it would be far too great an imposition and inconvenience to ask UK wholesalers to stock flexibles with R/Blk/Green cores so we have to change the whole fixed wiring infrastructure of the nation just so that ceiling roses don't look 'odd'. That is a complete crock. This has the unmistakeable reek of the EU commission all over it. I'm gonna have a ruddy good dig around the EU Comm/ODPM site archives and find out where this actually originated, in Britain or Brussels?

Are Trinity House planning to change the bouyage, S.O.L.A.S. and marine signals regs (port-starboard-masthead-stern lights) anytime soon seeing as red/green coulour-blindness is the most prevelant form? Or will the EU force the change after consultation with yet more friggin' "experts". Trust me this is about us ceding control (they call them 'competencies') to Europe.Right chaps, smoke me a kipper, I'm going in! X(
When it comes to going to sea when you have have a medical (ENG1) and one of the test's is the old Isihara colour blindness test if you fail that then you can't join the deck department as an Officer or deckhand but you can join the engineering department.

I'm still not sure about the colour blind argument, the flexes changed so that appliances could be marketed throughout the EU if I am not mistaken. Cable drums have , for years , been marked Harmonized and yellow was marked Non Harmonized colour. No mention of colour blindness. I think the movement of labour is nearer the mark.

Don't forget that our appliances are designed to 230 volts and that we have to pretend that the mains voltage is 400/230 when it is not the case.

Deke

The clue is in the use of the term "harmonisation" a classic piece of EU wonk-speak and a dead giveaway as to the instigators. It's all part of the hateful process of "ever greater union" that is writ large through every piece of legislation, diktat and directive the is imposed on us from abroad.Changing the conductor couloring was a deliberate move to facilitate the transfer of labour across the EU 'zone'. The UK was anomolous and had to be whipped into line.

Are Trinity House planning to change the bouyage, S.O.L.A.S. and marine signals regs (port-starboard-masthead-stern lights) anytime soon seeing as red/green coulour-blindness is the most prevelant form? Or will the EU force the change after consultation with yet more friggin' "experts". Trust me this is about us ceding control (they call them 'competencies') to Europe.

If you look here you will find that it was the UK who proposed the change of colours (and the colours to be used) for harmonisation.

sorry Carter, and you seeming quite a sensible sort an all.

BUT

the UK lives in the dark Fin ages and its about time it started to get in line with everyone else, not just europe.

give it 5 years and ring finals will be frowned upon too, dangerous as F IMHO.

the UK wiring system is probably one of the MOST DANGEROUS in the developed world,!!!!!

sorry Carter, and you seeming quite a sensible sort an all.BUT

the UK lives in the dark Fin ages and its about time it started to get in line with everyone else, not just europe.

give it 5 years and ring finals will be frowned upon too, dangerous as F IMHO.

the UK wiring system is probably one of the MOST DANGEROUS in the developed world,!!!!!
Have you been to Grease.........?

You lot got it all wrong, cos i was joining red and green together whilst you were all sucking your screwdrivers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or was it red and black ???????????? Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Have you been to Grease.........?
as in duckhams?

or Greece, as in holiday?

and apart from the cheapo holiday joints and lack of enforcing regs the actual rules in Greece aint too bad, its the adhere ance to them that lacks.

and bear in mind,

I did say DEVELOPED countries,#Greece/ etc just about touches this criteria.

Latest posts