Cable size required?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Type   C  ???   

They didn't state how they'll class it, just that they're happy running 50A over 10mm in those circumstances.  As I'm a mere punter I suspect they don't want to confuse me with such things.  ;)

Cable aside what earthing arrangement are we looking at? 

Pass - that's over to the installer.  I know they're happy with me using a 10mm earth from the house CU to the garage.

I'm gobsmacked that any company who claims to install chargers would allow somebody to go ahead and pull cables without a site visit and issue of some guidance ..................... madness.

surely it would be easier to forget about 2 cables and just use SWA all the way
Yup, but far more of a pita to thread through all those joists.  Also I have 10mm T&E lying about so need to buy less SWA.

I'm gobsmacked that any company who claims to install chargers would allow somebody to go ahead and pull cables without a site visit and issue of some guidance ..................... madness.

I'm laying the cable run, my sparky will then fit the garage CU and link up to the house CU and sign off both.  Installer then connects up charger on 32a circuit from the garage CU.  Installers do very little it seems!

Yup, but far more of a pita to thread through all those joists.  Also I have 10mm T&E lying about so need to buy less SWA.

I'm laying the cable run, my sparky will then fit the garage CU and link up to the house CU and sign off both.  Installer then connects up charger on 32a circuit from the garage CU.  Installers do very little it seems!

So best you get ALL the answers from your spark ................. your project seems to be changing as the thread goes on,,,

So best you get ALL the answers from your spark ................. your project seems to be changing as the thread goes on,,,
The plan has never varied.  My sparky is happy with 10mm, I was considering over rating.

The plan has never varied.  My sparky is happy with 10mm, I was considering over rating.

You haven't mentioned your "spark" until now and best you start from the top and see how you could have added this vital fact earlier.

I'me still very perplexed as to why you are asking these questions when you seem to have a spark .... I can only imagine that you are trying to cut costs.

I find with running submains, a slightly larger cable is always a good idea ..................... 

You haven't mentioned your "spark" until now and best you start from the top and see how you could have added this vital fact earlier.

I'me still very perplexed as to why you are asking these questions when you seem to have a spark .... I can only imagine that you are trying to cut costs.

I find with running submains, a slightly larger cable is always a good idea ..................... 

I do all my own electrical work and then get the sparky in to connect and sign off, at which point it's a bit late if he wants to change it!  He said he's happy with 10mm bit given that the run through the house is enclosed I was pondering going 16mm.  All solved now anyway.

I do all my own electrical work and then get the sparky in to connect and sign off, at which point it's a bit late if he wants to change it!  He said he's happy with 10mm bit given that the run through the house is enclosed I was pondering going 16mm.  All solved now anyway.

Whats solved?  You've not stated the earthing, you've not come clean about the design load ..........................

Time to get my coat

When I mentioned Type C   I was referring to the MCB .      I understood the supply was for charging an electric  vehicle ...my only experience of those  is Fork Lift Trucks   and  those chargers kick in with quite a surge  which trips  Type B  MCBs . 
Pass, I'm honestly not sure about that.  That'll be for the installer anyway.  I wouldn't have expected a surge but who can tell?  If so I may need a type C on the house MCB supplying the garage CU.  Will wait and see what the installer says.

Those aren't areas I'm concerned about.

you might not be concerned about them, but they are vital to a safe installation. seems like youre more one of those 'it works so it must be safe'. might not be thinking that when there is a fault and you or someone is dead or the house is burnt down

you might not be concerned about them, but they are vital to a safe installation. seems like youre more one of those 'it works so it must be safe'. might not be thinking that when there is a fault and you or someone is dead or the house is burnt down

I said that I am not concerned about them, not that they are not important.

So who is signing the design and installation aspects, of the Electrical installation certificate, that needs to be issued once the work is complete?  The signed declaration box on the certificate does carry a reasonable amount of legal liability should things go pear shaped at a later date. 

Doc H 

I will ask again. who is signing the design and installation aspects, of the Electrical installation certificate, that needs to be issued once the work is complete?  The signed declaration box on the certificate does carry a reasonable amount of legal liability should things go pear shaped at a later date. Any higher powered load added onto an existing installation can significantly increase the risk of fire or shock. With all these bodies involved with your project, (You, Your Spark, The EV charger companies spark). If 6 months down the line your fuse box, cable or charger start melting due to bad design who will you be expecting to put it right for you? As well as your installation methods, there are other factors affecting the selection of cable size. I am not convinced you have covered all areas sufficiently and I am concerned that you may not get anyone willing to put their name in the EICR declaration box.

Doc H

I will ask again. who is signing the design and installation aspects, of the Electrical installation certificate, that needs to be issued once the work is complete?  The signed declaration box on the certificate does carry a reasonable amount of legal liability should things go pear shaped at a later date. Any higher powered load added onto an existing installation can significantly increase the risk of fire or shock. With all these bodies involved with your project, (You, Your Spark, The EV charger companies spark). If 6 months down the line your fuse box, cable or charger start melting due to bad design who will you be expecting to put it right for you? As well as your installation methods, there are other factors affecting the selection of cable size. I am not convinced you have covered all areas sufficiently and I am concerned that you may not get anyone willing to put their name in the EICR declaration box.

Doc H

Already sorted, many thanks.

Oh I do hope between you, you all have good insurance, for there are separate rules to installing EV charging points and just doing it haphazardly will cause pain in more than one way. 

It is clear from your approach that this will suit you , perhaps even cost less, let’s hope you’re single because one day it may cost you more than money.