cable ties in db's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyratcliffe

Reaction score
Hello everyone what are your thoughts on cable ties in db's is it against the regs and does anyone know where abouts in bs 7671 I can find out about it:)

Hello everyone what are your thoughts on cable ties in db's is it against the regs and does anyone know where abouts in bs 7671 I can find out about it:)
Welcome to the forum Mikeyratcliffe, What are your thoughts, do you think there could be any? The wiring regs in general relates to the safe installation use and maintenance of a system. I doubt you will find anything specifically relating to cable ties any more than you will find anything relating to using either screws or bolts to fix a DB to a wall. Are you a student or DIY, Why do you ask?

Doc H.

I often use them to hold new tails to the back of the board to provide strain relief - stops the main switch moving as I secure the board to the wall. Can't see any reason not to use them if you want to.

Just as above really, I often use them as they keep all the cables nice and neat, no need to use them on a single phase board though I suppose. If you look inside any control panel you will see that almost all cables are held in position by the use of cable ties.

I agree with Manator, I don't use them with little single phase boards but with three phase and boards with banks of RCBOs to keep the earth tag nice and neat. You won't find anything about it in BS7671 I wouldn't think. I say do as you please bud.

shame they didn't have them years ago when commercial was wired in singles in trunking, would have made it a lot easier on board changes because you would at least know which single goes with which single.

I stripped out a control panel this week, a very old one & all the cables were tied with string....not just tied but sort of stiched along their full length & the labeling was all hand written in ink as super neat italic .

Looked very tidy.

I stripped out a control panel this week, a very old one & all the cables were tied with string....not just tied but sort of stiched along their full length & the labeling was all hand written in ink as super neat italic .Looked very tidy.
Twas how it was done, before we lost all our trade skills due to government cutbacks in the early 1990's

i can remember using waxed string and just use half hitch it to the end of the loom then double hitch to finish

same thing after that we used " helvin strip " with little plastic studs to secure it

I remember being taught to lace up wires during my apprenticeship.

Mind, to be honest for fault finding and repairs, when the cores are not labelled and without drawings, it is a pain!

As are cable ties though I have used both.