Cable ties

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Challenged

Reaction score
I hope I have the correct forum here. I have a wooden shed that has been fitted out as a gym with a couple of ceiling lights and a number of double sockets. The supply comes in from the back of the shed and the cables (9mm) run in plastic trunking, currently without cable ties. What distance would you suggest I space the cable ties - I have read 25cm for horizontal and 40cm for vertical. On that basis I need to purchase 60 - but the only real length that needs "safeguarding" is  just a short stretch of lighting cable that runs close to the door/escape route. The rest is either down the sides or at the back - and lets face it - the shed will burn before the cables have chance to pop out of trunking - but I know that the legislation has to be abided by. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

If the cables are in trunking them they don't need additional ties.

However you need to support them in case of fire to prevent premature collapse, this is often achieved using all round band/fire clips/metallic ties/buckle clips etc. TBH there's several ways of achieving this, the cable only needs to be supported so it doesn't impede access or egress.

Thanks Sidney. When I mentioned cable ties I actually meant fire rated cable ties/clips. I believe these have to be secured to the walls (wood in this case) - at what distance apart? Am I correct with 25cm and 40cm?

If 3m of trunking then every metre within. When there is a fire it should not sag, as mentioned. And every angle point to keep it high. 

Good comment Murdoch, but the electrics were done by a tenant so I have no idea who it was. I had to do some obvious repairs (e.g. cracked boxes) for the EICR but various other things failed, some due to the cowboy who came in. A big lesson for me, and a very good example of why an new EICR is so important when tenants change. 

Good comment Murdoch, but the electrics were done by a tenant so I have no idea who it was. I had to do some obvious repairs (e.g. cracked boxes) for the EICR but various other things failed, some due to the cowboy who came in. A big lesson for me, and a very good example of why an new EICR is so important when tenants change. 
Or more importantly why it's important that a landlord has it written into the tenancy that the tenant does NOT carry out any work without the landlords approval in writing and the work must be done by someone competant! A landlord I did work for actually had it written in the tenancy agreement that any electrical work must have his approval and be carried out by his electrician (me) after several instances where things had been bodged by tenants, or done by 'dave' down the pub, you know 'dave'  the guy who's qualified at anything if he can make a few quid. lol

gosh, I had no idea you were a spark ....

and under the legislation most LLs won’t be doing another EICR for 5 years

If the cables are in trunking them they don't need additional ties.

However you need to support them in case of fire to prevent premature collapse, this is often achieved using all round band/fire clips/metallic ties/buckle clips etc. TBH there's several ways of achieving this, the cable only needs to be supported so it doesn't impede access or egress.

In a shed? Escape routes in hallways / stairwells for sure, but I would think a shed would burn down before the fire brigade got to it. 

In a shed? Escape routes in hallways / stairwells for sure, but I would think a shed would burn down before the fire brigade got to it. 
I agree but I might have missed the bit in the book that said 'except sheds', yes I know, application of common sense etc.