Car Wash

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikep

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went in to my local car wash run by a Eastern Blockers, is it me or do they all get the same Electrician to wire up their lighting and sockets for them as they always never seem to comply with this countries regulations, surface mounted sockets next to the jet washer, open water tanks with Immersion heater slapped in the side with cable terminated to a 13a plug, hoover cables in poor condition being dragged across puddles. lighting cables in flex wrapped around incoming BT cables for support, Does nobody inspect these premises.

What's your experience with these places !!!

i wash my van myself skip that the rain washes my van. Nothing suprises me with these kind of people bit like fair people there electrics are diabolical too.

I've seen similar problems at car washes, but atleast they do the job

Lots of small independant businesses of this nature run like this, it has nothing to do with where theyre from.

Only last week, I received a call out from a small food distributors at 4am. They had had thier drivers make up thier own 16a extensions and botched it, blowing the main bullet in one of the phases. The install was a mess, pretty similar to the one described above. When I told them they needed the DNO out his first reaction was that he didn't owe me anything then when I challenged him he tried to pay me off with pies. This was an all English firm with about 8 vans/drivers and 3 office staff. I think some of the comments in this thread are a little over the line.

Lots of small independant businesses of this nature run like this, it has nothing to do with where theyre from. Only last week, I received a call out from a small food distributors at 4am. They had had thier drivers make up thier own 16a extensions and botched it, blowing the main bullet in one of the phases. The install was a mess, pretty similar to the one described above. When I told them they needed the DNO out his first reaction was that he didn't owe me anything then when I challenged him he tried to pay me off with pies. This was an all English firm with about 8 vans/drivers and 3 office staff. I think some of the comments in this thread are a little over the line.
How do you mean over the line?

Lots of small independant businesses of this nature run like this, it has nothing to do with where theyre from. Only last week, I received a call out from a small food distributors at 4am. They had had thier drivers make up thier own 16a extensions and botched it, blowing the main bullet in one of the phases. The install was a mess, pretty similar to the one described above. When I told them they needed the DNO out his first reaction was that he didn't owe me anything then when I challenged him he tried to pay me off with pies. This was an all English firm with about 8 vans/drivers and 3 office staff. I think some of the comments in this thread are a little over the line.
MMMMMMMMMMMMM, Pies

What amuses me in my home area is most of the Polski Skleps have an outside area with fruit & veg on sale. Without fail most have pendant lampholders for illumination wired in figure 8 bell cable, twisted joints insulated with selotape and strung between the metal awning frames.

How do you mean over the line?
I think the overtones are quite obvious really, I'm open to debate but I don't think judging the entire population of the eastern bloc, based on the standard of electrical installation in a local carwash, is quite fair.

What amuses me in my home area is most of the Polski Skleps have an outside area with fruit & veg on sale. Without fail most have pendant lampholders for illumination wired in figure 8 bell cable, twisted joints insulated with selotape and strung between the metal awning frames.
I agree, I see exactly the same at my local carboot sale when I go down, yet that is run by a semi pro local rugby club on land that they rent from the council. My point is that in instances such as these, the install is usually of a poor standard, regardless of nationality.

M

y point is that in instances such as these, the install is usually of a poor standard, regardless of nationality.
I'd go with that,

some people are just rough, and dont care/dont understand

no matter where they were born.

I understand your concerns of me pointing out that it was an Eastern Block run car wash but maybe I did not need to say this as I have not seen a car wash in this area run by any other nationality as all of the ones that I have used are from that part of the world, I was pointing out that the regulations are their for us to follow but surely in a public place where everyone has to get out of their vehicle so as to allow access for cleaning should be protected to some degree by our Environmental health department licensing these premises.

We are mostly Electricians that notice this type of situation.

Mike.

All car wash & Jet wash bays on filling station sites are required to be tested on the yearly inspection to obtain there Petroleum License however this year on certain sites IE Total you only have to test and inspect if the supply passes through the hazardous zone