Cctv Kits (Home)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpha spark

Reaction score
Any one know of a decent outdoor 2 camera kit that is DVr recordable and viewable on the net for about 200 quid seen a few about this price but any one work with them that knows wot there like

Thanks in advance

I've just bought a 4 camera kit 500gb dvr from makro for home £215 delivered

Fitted today, swann, pictures good enough for me, front drive, side of house, rear garden, installation is plug n play didn't get round to configuring t'internet for my iPad/iPhone but it's up and running

longest part was running the cables

Will have a bash at t'internet tomorrow, a mate of mine has had the same one for a year now and said it was a real pain to get the network sorted but the swann tech line was first class and sorted it for him

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Betty just looked they do a 2 camera version too what's the pic like at night is the night vision good or does it require security lighting too ?

Just had a play around with the settings

I have Dusk to dawn lighting on all sides with pir to activate full flood (twin spots)

The front drive picture is fine upto the road distance 10metres from house camera at guttering height without any lighting but there are street lamps & other house lights

I can read all sign writing on my van but couldn't read a number plate, beyond that I can see the houses opposite pretty well, you could tell if somebody was mooching around their drive or cars, what they were wearing, age but not faces, which would be @ 20-25m but you wouldn't see any great recognisable personal detail beyond 10m tbh

With dusk to dawn picture quality closer to camera improves greatly, i think you would recognise somebody on my drive but you lose the detail in the distance, I can still see the houses opposite but their drive and cars are lost in dark patches, I dont think the camera is able to cope with a lit and dark area together.

At the rear with no lighting the garden is pitch black

I can pretty much only see my patio area, @ 4mx4m directly below the camera which is situated at guttering height

(I might lower this and change position slightly)

With dusk to dawn on I can see the area lit by the light fairly well but further out 10 -20m nothing at all

Again the camera cant focus on two areas at the same time

With pir activated I can the whole garden perfectly, 20mx25m better than with my eyes anyhoo( doesn't say much)

What I want to do is review the video on screen and play around with the images captured and see if quality can be improved at all or better defined

I already knew that the camera pixels are what they are, blow up a poor image can result in a worse blurred image

Overall for the money and half a days work I'm not complaining i think it will be what I was hoping for

You can also set the cameras to all record constantly or with motion detection which you can set the level of pixel distortion sensitivity from 1-10 and also set an alarm which will buzz internally on movement and/or also email you to let you know so you can view via t'internet iPad smartphone what's going on

Can't wait.....

Spider.....

Spider......

Nother spider.......

I have fitted loads of Swan kits. Good value for money. They come with 420tvl cams and cheap 700tvl can be found on ebay. Varifocal cams cost under £50 now to focus in on plates or faces. Its a must to spray anti spider spray on any cam, you will regret not

Last edited by a moderator:
Foscam outdoor cameras are great from amazon also blue iris software on your computer giving date/time stamped recordings also can monitor camera over Internet

Just fitted the kit I got from makro live in a block of flats don't think the neighbours are too impressed though just caught them all staring at it and shaking there heads wouldn't mind it only covers my door and my van not too bad in darkness either has sensor lighting that improves pic any way when some one passes.

Can see it causing a s**t storm though

Hi,

Just passing through. I do a bit of video and stills (since 1994). Since all this 'paedophile' stuff started up (quite rightly), I was a bit put off about taking my cameras out. The local constabulary, ah bless, gave me the rundown on the law as it stood in 2011... You can video in any public area, there is no law which dictates otherwise. This means that your camera can overlook a public footpath, road or space. You can not video a private area, so a camera which picks up the neighbour's garden or a private footpath for example would be illegal if no consent is given by your neighbour. I have found however, when installing domestic cctv that most, if not all, those approached were delighted that a camera was watching part of their property, if not all of it. Hope this may be of help.

Latest posts