Central Heating Pump

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ice man

Reaction score
I have fitted a pump in open vented central heating system about 10 months ago a few weeks ago my client rang me but I was on holiday so she had to call anther plumber who said the heating pump has gone he replaced the pump but the boiler would not fire so apparently he reversed the pump and all was well then he said to my client that I fitted the pump the wrong way hence when he fitted it the same way as me the boiler would not fire now my client wants her money back my question is how come when I fitted the pump supposedly the wrong way they had no problems for 10 months can any opinions about that please 

mmm

well, not being a plumber,

but,

I'd wonder as to how the pump being fitted wrong would stop the boiler actually firing?

yep, it would shut down soon afterwards,

but,

sounds to me like the 2nd plumber fitted it the wrong way round and needed an excuse as to why he needed to change it,,,,

Well, if it was me that was the householder I would want a written report from Plumbit 2 as to why reversing the pump made it work AND i would want to know what was wrong with the old pump AND have it returned to me....as, after all, I OWN it!

As Steps said, he fitted it the wrong way around, got embarrassed, covered his tracks and blamed you. If the original pump is only 10 months old it should still,be under warranty anyway.

Just saying

I have fitted a pump in open vented central heating system about 10 months ago a few weeks ago my client rang me but I was on holiday so she had to call anther plumber who said the heating pump has gone he replaced the pump but the boiler would not fire so apparently he reversed the pump and all was well then he said to my client that I fitted the pump the wrong way hence when he fitted it the same way as me the boiler would not fire now my client wants her money back my question is how come when I fitted the pump supposedly the wrong way they had no problems for 10 months can any opinions about that please 

Where is the original pump you fitted??

Has it been returned to you???

I don't think I could get any refunds of any suppliers for any alleged faulty items..

UNLESS I return the "faulty" item to them...

Irrespective of what may or may not have happened or worked or not worked..

I would not entertain any refund of anything unless you have your original supplied materials back for your further investigations.

Guinness

thanks everyone for your replies ,and yes I have asked for the pump back but they still looking for it I will let you know of the outcome  

thanks everyone for your replies ,and yes I have asked for the pump back but they still looking for it I will let you know of the outcome  

Well that rather sums up the intelligence of this "other plumber" and your customer....

I am guessing that every man and his brother knows that 99.9999999999% of goods have 12months manufactures warranty....

So you would keep hold of any item you think is dodgy to return it to the supplier for refund..

If "Still Looking For It"..

its either binned or chucked in the other plumbers van..

Or he's used it on another job!!!

But whichever way you look at it...

A pump even if it had been connected reveresed...

will still be a working pump....

Not a faulty or damaged pump! 

So no need to change the pump again if you had replaced it less than 12months ago!

Write them a letter saying you are more than willing to look at the original pump you fitted

and if it proves to be faulty offer a appropriate refund for the defective parts..

(as you will get a refund from your supplier)

But without the original item for inspection you are unable to prove that this other plumber hadn't damaged the item you installed. 

If the original item is not faulty and did only need reversing then the best you could offer is a good will payment of the labour for the time it would have cost to reverse the pump around.

In either option you need the original pump back in suitable packaging just as it was when you supplied it.

so you can evaluate what/if any refund is suitable.

Ask them to return the pump within five working days so the mater can be resolved promptly,

If no pump is returned then you will assume they are happy for the matter to stay as it is!

:popcorn

Typical,ill informed Yank.....this is a UK site ( founding Member of the English language)

It is a pump for heating....it never mentions "heat pump"

Rant finishes...bad day about to get worse

Edited because even though I am born and bred in the country that brought you "THE English Language".....i made a spelling mistake

Sorry for the error

Just saying

Last edited by a moderator: