Central Heating Settings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that the weather is changing and our heating is on more and more I have a question for you.

Now I have a programmable roomstat so I set heating and setback temperatures.

The questipon I have is what tempperature differential is the most economical to have?

i.e. set heating temp to 18.5 and set back to 12 (effectively off),,,, or would it be better to set it to something like 18.5 / 16 and not let the house get too cold during the night and therefore have a quicker/cheaper temp rise in the morning??

With radiators, I don't see the point in a set back system.  On or off is all you need, unless the house is really poorly insulated and likely to get too cold in the middle of the night.

Set back is really intended for under floor heating, which has a much longer warm up time. So by preventing it getting too cold when "off" makes it quicker to get back up to temperature.

Having said that, our under floor heating is working fine with just on / off control with no set back.

Where programmable thermostats really come into their own, is giving you the flexibility to time the heating in different rooms to different times. But for that of course you need individual zones for each room, which you normally get with UFH.

For instance, the bedroom heating in this house does not come on until 7PM.  What's the point in heating a bedroom all day long when you are not using it?  And the kitchen heating goes off at 6PM. Allowing for the cool down period, it stays warm plenty long enough to finish cooking, eating and washing up, but what's the point heating the room all through the evening when nobody is in there?

Last edited by a moderator:
With radiators, I don't see the point in a set back system.  On or off is all you need, unless the house is really poorly insulated and likely to get too cold in the middle of the night.

Set back is really intended for under floor heating, which has a much longer warm up time. So by preventing it getting too cold when "off" makes it quicker to get back up to temperature.

Having said that, our under floor heating is working fine with just on / off control with no set back.

Where programmable thermostats really come into their own, is giving you the flexibility to time the heating in different rooms to different times. But for that of course you need individual zones for each room, which you normally get with UFH.

For instance, the bedroom heating in this house does not come on until 7PM.  What's the point in heating a bedroom all day long when you are not using it?  And the kitchen heating goes off at 6PM. Allowing for the cool down period, it stays warm plenty long enough to finish cooking, eating and washing up, but what's the point heating the room all through the evening when nobody is in there?
Yes pretty much bang on.

We never have heating on at night, On at 6:30am Off at 9:00am, On at 4:30pm Off at 10:30pm, all wet rads.

My heating is on constant

12 deg at night until i get up at half 6  then manually up to 16 deg

house empty at half 8 then down to 14 deg

4 pm up to 18 until 9 pm

Thermostatic rads in most rooms

cant see the point of letting the house get too cold

My heating is on constant

12 deg at night until i get up at half 6  then manually up to 16 deg

house empty at half 8 then down to 14 deg

4 pm up to 18 until 9 pm

Thermostatic rads in most rooms

cant see the point of letting the house get too cold
That's pretty much how I have it set now, but automatically with a programmable stat

I'm thinking that 12/18 deg is too big a differential and that 6 degrees is a lot for our house to have to heat up,,, I was thinking of setting it to something like 15 or 16/18

At the moment when the stat goes from 12 to 18 it can be on for a couple of hours before it turns off, I was hoping that by maintaining a slightly higher temp that it wouldn't be on as much and therefore might save us some gas.

Unfortunately our staircase has been opened up into the living room, gives a load more space, but the rad wasn't increased.... will have to consider adding another rad before next Winter

if you've got a room stat then set that to whatever temp you want, so if yours is in the living room set it to what temp you are comfortable with something between 18 -21 degrees. When the temp in that rooms gets to the temp set it will TURN OFF the boiler. You control the temp in the other rooms with the TRV’s on each rad, open them to the max to start with then you can adjust them down. But remember that once the temp on the room stat in your lounge is hit the boiler will TURN OFF, it’s sort of the master controller! The temperature controller on the boiler could be for the HW side of things rather than the CH, so I wouldn’t go any hotter than 65 degrees otherwise your hot water will be scalding hot! If the temp controller is for the CH then all it’ll mean is your rads will get hotter quicker if you have the setting higher and more information

Dear member,

Advertising is controlled by the force, please contact the Jedi Council, should you wish to peddle your wares.

If you do not wish to do this then I will need to under take Jedi mind control, to re-educate you.

Please refrain from spamming the forum with unauthorised adverts.

You are welcome to participate, and the Council are convinced that your input could prove to be valuable, if, you can learn from your Masters my Padawan.

Welcome to the forum.

May the force be with you.

Qui-Gon Jinn

Last edited by a moderator: