Cert

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing an 80A 30mA RCD within an enclosure between the meter and CU. Current CU is an old wylex with plug in MCB's. I am also upgrading the bonding of the gas and water services.

Should a full EIC be issued for this work?

Cheers. J

I would think an EIC but does it provide adequate discrimination?

I would like to change the CU. However landlord is not keen. Also board is in an extremely awkward place. There are only 4 ways in use at present. Cheers

I would not be happy doing what you are doing. I would replace board with small main switch board with RCBO's. What landlord is asking you to do is against regs and really is not a good idea.

As already suggested, however, IIRC MWC is NOT allowed for upgrading of main bonding.

Single up front RCD is not good, especially in non domestic premises.

Get landlord to sign design section of cert?...

I would not be happy doing what you are doing. I would replace board with small main switch board with RCBO's. What landlord is asking you to do is against regs and really is not a good idea.
New mains board or nothing it is then. Upgraded bonding a few days ago. Will change CU Friday. Cheers J

As already suggested, however, IIRC MWC is NOT allowed for upgrading of main bonding.Single up front RCD is not good, especially in non domestic premises.

Get landlord to sign design section of cert?...
i dont think you can do that, on the di cert you sign for design construction and testing. ( all one box)

i am in a simlar prediciment, lady cant afford cu change need to do a load of socket alterations, so i could rcd just the sockets at the cu or rcd the lot, she only has 4 circuits including a electric shower.

prob go with just the sockets or split tails into a 2 way board, but i thought it would be against the regs to cover the whole lot with 1 rcd although i have seen many like this

Tom,

Maybe on DI cert (NICEIC) only one box, on full EIC (NICEIC or IET) there are multiple boxes.

IF the customer wants to design aspects of the install, then they must be responsible for this, thus sign the cert in the appropriate locations. End of.

BTW, it COULD be construed that a single RCD for a complete install does not comply. Down to minimising inconvenience in the event of a fault.

Tom,Maybe on DI cert (NICEIC) only one box, on full EIC (NICEIC or IET) there are multiple boxes. i agree but gs stats says DI

IF the customer wants to design aspects of the install, then they must be responsible for this, thus sign the cert in the appropriate locations. End of.

BTW, it COULD be construed that a single RCD for a complete install does not comply. Down to minimising inconvenience in the event of a fault.
reg 314.1

Tom,

What gs states as far as his status goes is irrelevant.

The client wants to design part, or all of the work, thus they MUST sign for it.

DI or anyone else should (cannot) sign for another

Tom,What gs states as far as his status goes is irrelevant.

The client wants to design part, or all of the work, thus they MUST sign for it.

DI or anyone else should (cannot) sign for another

i dont think you can do that, on the di cert you sign for design construction and testing. ( all one box)i am in a simlar prediciment, lady cant afford cu change need to do a load of socket alterations, so i could rcd just the sockets at the cu or rcd the lot, she only has 4 circuits including a electric shower.

prob go with just the sockets or split tails into a 2 way board, but i thought it would be against the regs to cover the whole lot with 1 rcd although i have seen many like this
Same here. Have come across quite a few installations where whole board has being covered by 1 RCD. J

yes it is but thats off the top of my head as i was looking the other day.i agree with what your saying i might be missing something but if gs is a di then he wont have a box for the landlord to sign, so he would have to take responserbuility for the all the work
I usually print my certs using Tysoft easycert. There are different types of EIC's included. Domestic and commercial/industrial. Commercial/industraial EIC have the design box.

I will be changing the board now, so will issue a Domestic EIC.

Cheers. J

reg 314.1
I do not believe that is relevent. 314.1 is about having seperate circuits not multuple RCD's. The only mention of RCD's is to prevent them being tripped by accumilative CPC current caused by all the circuits on that RCD. Remember RCD's are for additional protection not Fault Protection.

Single RCD protection for premises (except TT 100ma TD stuff) has not been considered adequate for many years due to 'nuisance tripping', hence 17th stuff is dual RCD minimum. I used to have this on my old house from about 20 years ago, its a right pain in the bum.

You could go for 16th CU and an RCBO, saves space and reduces cost possibly??

Single RCD protection for premises (except TT 100ma TD stuff) has not been considered adequate for many years due to 'nuisance tripping', hence 17th stuff is dual RCD minimum. I used to have this on my old house from about 20 years ago, its a right pain in the bum.You could go for 16th CU and an RCBO, saves space and reduces cost possibly??
Got a contactum main switch and enclosure, and 4 RCBO's. Should be straight forward (famous last words....they never are!). J