Changing From Clipping To Channeling Price After Quote

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Hi People

I put an estimate in for two flat refurb which were to be clipped for dot + dab

start the job ripping out the old cable etc only to be told it needs to be channelled for skimming

how much extra time do you reckon it will take to go this method 1.5 times ????

just about to put in first invoice

Cheers

I'd have thought  1/2 hour for a full length chase and chopping  a box in brickwork .

I trust the plaster is deep enough ......some houses built before and after WW2 don't have much plaster cover on.

Are they not dry lining now then ?

I never clip anyway, don't like the idea of a dab on the cable stopping you from pulling one or more out for one reason or another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi People

I put an estimate in for two flat refurb which were to be clipped for dot + dab

start the job ripping out the old cable etc only to be told it needs to be channelled for skimming

how much extra time do you reckon it will take to go this method 1.5 times ????

just about to put in first invoice

Cheers
couldny you use the exisiting route to pull new cables in? save ripping the old channel out of the wall .

The plaster is deep enuff thank god,,,,,,channeling is a treat

I would have used the original channels but I am chasing down where the originals are chased up !!!

I would clip direct under board in pvc capping

the flats are above a shop and have been redesigned with walls being moved etc

I may just bang another 2 days money on it

This is what I have always wondered too, waste of time and money in a chase IMO
I've seen plastered walls where no capping has been used, and the cable is visible in places, also found cables with the outer sheath sliced off I assume by a razor sharp plasterers float. That's why capping or conduit should be used to stop the wet trades causing havoc.

Why do they insist on filling the boxes up and just leave a small hole to tell you where it is if your lucky ??

Agree with above their trowels are razor sharp. Although it is different with dot and dab, I know it's still possible but far less likely, worked on big sites in the past with hundreds of new builds all dot and dabed without issue, and this was done by of eastern cousins who generally care less about cables! 

I've seen plastered walls where no capping has been used, and the cable is visible in places, also found cables with the outer sheath sliced off I assume by a razor sharp plasterers float. That's why capping or conduit should be used to stop the wet trades causing havoc.

Why do they insist on filling the boxes up and just leave a small hole to tell you where it is if your lucky ??
An exemployee of mine insisted on bonding across each length of capping with a bit of 4mm and 2 yellow crimps. When he ran out of washers for screwing the capping back he reverted to the yellow crimp rings again since " that is what they did in Scotland".......didnt last long, prat

I do agree when cables are run on new walls that are being done with a backing coat.

That is exactly right Steps.

Any quote of mine that goes in where there will be other "trades" etc. working on the job, and others following on etc. has stated that any remedial works or changes required to the specification due to the work undertaken by other trades or contractors will be charged in addition to the quotation at our normal hourly rate.

The client can take it or leave it.

We will NOT cover the incompetence of others, we charge for it.

If spreads were made to cover the whole real cost of their incompetence in slicing cables, they would soon learn not to do it.

An exemployee of mine insisted on bonding across each length of capping with a bit of 4mm and 2 yellow crimps. When he ran out of washers for screwing the capping back he reverted to the yellow crimp rings again since " that is what they did in Scotland".......didnt last long, prat
And Birmingham Council specifications too I might add.     Earth wire from whatever box to a self-tapper in the capping.  :(

Latest posts