Changing MR16 lamp holders for GU10

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicks electrix

Reaction score
Evening Forum

My suppliers only had MR16 fire rated down lighters although i wanted GU10. They have given me the MR16 down lighters and GU10 lamp holders/ leads and told me to just change them over. The lamps for the MR16 are 36 degrees Celsius and the GU10 are 40 degrees Celsius? Can i do this? Opinions please!!!

I am broke at the moment so i had to go to where i have an account. I need to fit these lights tomorrow so i cant wait for stock.

Thanks

no transformer to stop working, and GU10 connector are much better than MR16 (which im always replacing becuse they dont have a good connection and burn out)

but to just swap them over is not that simple, as u are talking about going from 12v to 230v, so the cabelling need to be changed over... am i correct..

but to just swap them over is not that simple, as u are talking about going from 12v to 230v, so the cabelling need to be changed over... am i correct..
yes, but you will find majority of downlights are both the same for LV & ELV, its only the lamp holder & wire to connector thats different. and a GU10 holder comes with a nice piece of cable attached ready to go to connector

so remove the old transformer and connect the GU10 holder to the 230v T&E side....

but if the lights run off one transformer, new cable would have to be installed for all lights correct...

depends what it was wired in. if the cable is rated to 230v, then use it. but also note that some kits will have 12v connectors that wont be suitable to 230v and would need removed

But this sounds like a new install.......The only possible concern I would have is, if the fittings are fire rated; is there a difference in the seals or vent holes etc. between the can of a GU10 and that of an MR16?

If it is "from scratch" install, the transformer & wiring issue doesn`t exist - I think the OP was asking if there are any issues with changing the lamp type within the fitting? Or have I got it wrong again?

KME

Latest posts