commercial door bell

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got a customer wanting a bell to sound then the door is opened.

it needs to be loud - its going in a car workshop so its going to be noisy to start with

anyone know of a decent one?

Did one for a goods delivery door at noisy place. Used a 240 v X 6" bell with weatherproof push outside.

You could go for the old style shop door brass contact which are hard wearing, need to be low voltage ,so addition cost of a tranny ,could go for a low volt bell , still 6" but 12 or 24v. Or use a relay and back with the 240v bell .

Can't remember the make of the bell now, actually the wholesaler seemed to struggle to get hold of it , dunno why.

It was the Gent style fire bell ,electronic. But not Gent.

Deke

you could fit an alarm system and put the door contacts on chimb
I have done this in a few commercial installs but the chime is not really loud enough for a heavy workshop.

I agree with Evans electric ok its 240v but at least you can bloody hear the dam thing, I think the one I installed a few year ago was the bardos 6" bell.

My memory is a little bad but its from their fire alarm range.

It was a Bardon not Bardos lol (its age you know)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same but with 240v bell ened up fitting a light as well, but cant remember any names sorry.

Any electronic sounder powered through a time delay relay so door opens, relay triggers for a few seconds so the sounder isn;t missed over the brief loud noise that coincides with a quick chirp. If they have an alarm and depending what it is you can program the chime to operate an output for a set period and stick a relay and sounder on that.

i think the 230v sounder and a switch on the door is probably the best option. now just to work it so it only sounds for a few seconds

installing an alarm just for this isnt really practical

Think I'd go with Lurchio's idea and use a delay relay . RS have them or perhaps the ones we use for common stair lighting application , din mounted, MK , Hager etc.

See your thinking, if door is left open ,bell is ringing like mad, they'll just shove some paper in it.

that was also a problem. so far its looking like a door contact triggering a relay to sounder

anyone know of a relay that will operate for a few seconds and then turn off automatically?

See your thinking, if door is left open ,bell is ringing like mad, they'll just shove some paper in it.
If you get a door switch that's made for the job it only triggers briefly as the door is opening or closing and doesn;t hold open.

[quote name='Andy