compactor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicspark

Reaction score
Hi chaps

I have been asked to connect a can compactor in a recycling plant

I have been told it is a small unit (1100w)

How should I connect this?

I was thinking of running a 1.5 SWA to a BS EN 60309-2 socket then HO7RFN to the machine - which is movable. Is this OTT? Any other suggestions?

Must we go down the road of BS 6309-2 sockets and HO7 TTFN Flexes ? Will the SWA be BS 6346 or 5467 will the socket comply with BS 4343. Will the 6309-2 be c/with a 3645 ,will it all comply with7671 will it be fed from an 88 or a 1361 or a 3036 or maybe a 3871-1 type2 a 60898 B C or D or even a 61009-1 Does a 52 bus take me to the city centre ?

We are all starting to sound like NIC inspectors who used to reel this stuff off constantly .

To give an opinion I have to look up sockets to BS 60309 but I guess it means weatherproof !! :coat

OK, To be controversial not like me!

I would NOT use a socket at any time any place (thats Martini! :innocent ) unless I HAD to.

Next I would never use SWA to any machine which had a motor unless the possible motor vibration was minimal. My shout based on my experience of rotating machine design, the application the condition of the machine and the likely maintenance routine primarily, unless specific manufacturers vibration levels were available for the machine elements in question.

I would NOT use flex in any industrial situation for more than about 1m without some additional mechanical protection.

I would use either SY, (braid earthed, glanded with GXD's) or metallic flexible conduit on the supply. Would not rely on the mechanical protection for cpc on either (it's not allowed).

I have done almost this job, but my recycling machines were pulling 125A per phase and the other was 200A!

I had to run SWA to the connection ponts, not happy though, due to the possible vibration affects on the cores and the possible work hardening to the strands with the subsequent enhanced risk of probable fatigue failure of the copper strands in the SWA. Seen it, and with 6491x.

Neither are suitable for connection to vibrating equipment, and any rotating machine vibrates, it's just the frequency and magnitude that varies, and these havebroadly differing affects on associated equipment.

To give an opinion I have to look up sockets to BS 60309 but I guess it means weatherproof !!

Just means industrial type like the blue 16 amp and red 32 amp socket outlets with or without isolation switches. :)

To the op I guess it would depend on the environment, Ho7 cable is fine but if you think any damage may occur which around a compactor I would think is likely, I would go with sy cable

Must we go down the road of BS 6309-2 sockets and HO7 TTFN Flexes ? Will the SWA be BS 6346 or 5467 will the socket comply with BS 4343. Will the 6309-2 be c/with a 3645 ,will it all comply with7671 will it be fed from an 88 or a 1361 or a 3036 or maybe a 3871-1 type2 a 60898 B C or D or even a 61009-1 Does a 52 bus take me to the city centre ? We are all starting to sound like NIC inspectors who used to reel this stuff off constantly .

To give an opinion I have to look up sockets to BS 60309 but I guess it means weatherproof !! :coat
Sorry

blue commando plug and black rubber flex

and thanks to Sidewinder for that terrific post. :Applaud I have not actually seen the machine yet but I will certainly have more idea when I do.

But do you think all of these measures are necessary, bearing cost in mind, for such a small machine (single phase, 5A) ?

I hope you will all keep this thread alive for a bit longer - more advice would be most welcome

PS how does one earth the braid on SY?

Sorryblue commando plug and black rubber flex

and thanks to Sidewinder for that terrific post. :Applaud I have not actually seen the machine yet but I will certainly have more idea when I do.

But do you think all of these measures are necessary, bearing cost in mind, for such a small machine (single phase, 5A) ?

I hope you will all keep this thread alive for a bit longer - more advice would be most welcome

PS how does one earth the braid on SY?
braid earthed, glanded with GXD's (from sidewinders post)

Its all down to environment and how long you need the installation to last.

A cheap job would only last a few weeks at most, the way you describe doing it and following sidewinders excellent post, it will last probably as long as the machine.

Great post Sidewinder!

If I was looking at this job I'd probably go with an Interlocked Ceeform socket and glanded SY!

Interlocked for the only reason so as to not be able to unplug it whilst it's on!

Really dont like plugs except on really mobile / portable equipment.

You can use banjo's on GXD's if you wish, or Pirahhna (spelling?) nuts ala SWA.

Remember unless you have these new fangled specially made plastic enclosures that provide earth continuity from load to supply (we've all seen them) then you'll need to earth tail things via banjo's, etc. preferably internally to the enclosure. I would not normally fit earthing tails greater in csa than the lives.