competant persons

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddha

Reaction score
can a builder have a job wired by an unqualified non registered yet experienced and competant person,then get a outside source to test,inspect and certify the work?

and can the builder put he's own company name to the certificate?

can the competant person test/certify the job?

a builder friend of mine has had his job wired by his mate,an electrical mate with 15 years of experience.

can he get the job certified and how? I didnt do the job as im not yet qualified and envisioned these problems but he went ahead anyway.

if someone asked me to certify someone elzses work then id be saying :run and
default_good%20luck.gif
finding someone because i wont do it for anyone! what you may get which may be acceptable is a Periodic inspection report, but this should really have been nofitied direct to the council in charge of their area of work,

A registered person wouldn't be allowed to test and inspect someone elses work and issue certificates either as They have no sound knowledge of installation methods used and they would be putting their name to a certificate saying that the installation was installed to BS 7671 Which might not be the case . The only way round this would be for the competent person to contact LABC before work commences . They would offer advice and ensure the work was up to standard . That is why we have registered person schemes so all work is done to BS 7671 .. That is my understanding on it all anyway ... Guinness

Simple answer is no.

At best if another electrician was bought in they'd only be able to test and issue a PIR. That job is now un-certifiable for the simple reason others have already pointed out, there can be no initial verification.

Simple answer is no.At best if another electrician was bought in they'd only be able to test and issue a PIR. That job is now un-certifiable for the simple reason others have already pointed out, there can be no initial verification.
It can still be certified by LABC. They may contact a person who belongs to a CPS and ask them to PIR it at which point they can supply a completion certificate. They will of course charge for that but its the only way to have work signed off by LABC that has been done by another 'enterprise'.

It can still be certified by LABC. They may contact a person who belongs to a CPS and ask them to PIR it at which point they can supply a completion certificate. They will of course charge for that but its the only way to have work signed off by LABC that has been done by another 'enterprise'.
As I understand it to get the work signed of by LABC the need to inspect at first fix and second fix and then they get a CP to test it.

As I understand it to get the work signed of by LABC the need to inspect at first fix and second fix and then they get a CP to test it.
They would need to check first fix as the installation method can be verified so the initial verification can be completed accordingly . This route can be more time consuming so it would be worth considering using a registered person from the off to do the install as You are not involving LABC directly and even the costs could be more balanced compared to using a competent person in the long run

I was referring to an install that has not been notified before and was not installed by a CPS member.

thank you all for your replys,could someone explain all the abbrieviations to me please,CPS,LABC,PIR,CP????? Looks like bad news for my friend possibly.

if the builders job came under a building notice anyway the work could of quite possibly been done through that.

Crown Prosecution Service actually! Wet Fish
Indeed as the follow prosecutions on behalf of Her Majesty that are not necessarily criminal offenses.

No they can`t - they can only issue a Building Regs Compliance Certificate - it is in no way an EIC based on the model forms detailed in BS7671!

No they can`t - they can only issue a Building Regs Compliance Certificate - it is in no way an EIC based on the model forms detailed in BS7671!
No, its called a completion certificate. LABC will issue once your project you have notified them about has been completed, they have inspected and are happy it complies with the building regulations. I never suggested it was anything to do with 7671, an EIC or any little club.

http://www.labc.uk.com/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=10&pageNumber=5Once all stages have been inspected and meet the regulations the project will be completed and a completion certificate will be issued.
BUT a restrospective one is called a Regularisation Certificate

http://www.labc.uk.com/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=10&pageNumber=5Forgot to make an application?

The lack of a completion certificate can affect your ability to use or sell a property. It may also affect your insurance and may put you at risk of legal action. However, if you have previously carried out work without a Building Regulations application you can apply for a Regularisation Certificate.

Regularisation applications (applied to work carried out after 11 November 1985) can be a lengthy process, especially if extensive work is required to bring a building back up to standard. A Regularisation application must be made to the local authority where the work was carried out. You will need to provide full details and plans showing the work that was carried out along with payment of the relevant charge.

Once this information has been provided you may be required to open up and uncover the work so that it can be inspected and checked by the building control surveyor. Provided that the work is satisfactory a Regularisation Certificate will be issued.

Yes quite right LABC can give it a cert, I should have made it clearer that I meant it wasn't possible for a registered sparks to give it a cert. I have been down this road before. An old work mate had wired his own extension, but in order to get it certified, LABC told him he had to get an electrician (me) to carry out a PIR with a satisfactory result. They then issued him with a completion certificate I believe.

Think you will find it depends on which LABC it is.

A PIR is for sure a report only on the condition of the existing installation and not a Certificate.

Standand info from LABC's

What happens my electrical contractor is not a member of a Competent Person Scheme?

Answer: Works carried out by competent electricians, who could be considered competent for the purposes of signing a BS 7671 electrical installation certificate - but who are not a member of a Competent Persons Scheme cannot

Warren no one has said that a PIR is acceptable as a certificate. What is being said that LABC can issue a completion certificate based upon a PIR being carried out. It's their decision at the end of the day and they have control. A sparks would not be able to give any kind of certificate, we're all agreed on that. As I said in my previous post, this very thing happened to me. I was asked to carry out a PIR on an extension that had been wired just before part p came into effect. The extension wasn't fully completed until part p was in effect. Since the guy needed it signing off by LABC but obviously couldn't get a cert, then LABC were consulted and they asked for the PIR.

Latest posts