Danger Crap Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameseye12

Reaction score
This is what I found whilst working in a department store. This is one of the six CU points around the building, and by far the worst - next to the cloth sheathed cables

Note the helpful signs on the Covers

The CU's also get very warm to the touch whilst in use but I doubt they listen to me and upgrade them. This store only works on a 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' basis

P060211_06.18_[03].jpg.jpg]

P060211_06.18_[02].jpg.jpg]

P060211_06.18_[04].jpg.jpg]

P060211_06.18_[01].jpg.jpg]

P060211_06.18.jpg

Edited to remove name

james,I think you need to edit your op, to remove the store name mate, just to keep yourself in the clear!
Good call Paul

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was made at 15:45 ----------

That is well funny tho mate. The written warning label lol. Wiring crap hahaha

Can't see how the wiring can be carp. as was mentioned on another post recently, MICC cable can last forever.... a lot of that installation is MICC......

Perhaps they are hoping the place will burn down and they will get a new building on the insurance!

james,I think you need to edit your op, to remove the store name mate, just to keep yourself in the clear!
First paragraph is fine I see no problem naming the store you are working in and the pictures are fact, so to speak. However the second paragraph without written proof is hearsay and could not be taken as truth. I would suggest changing the wording as Sidewinder pointed out.

On balance I don't see the name of the store adding anything to the thread, so I have removed it.

Cheers Guys, Will remember that for the future.

The MICC doesn't worry me as such - more the 'crossed neutrals' and the warm CU. Plus not an RCD in Sight! (Anywhere in the building) Maintenance guy has taken to using plug in RCDs round the store on practically everything

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:47 ----------

Agreed - although "name & shame" is a good way to try & get things done....I`d be worried if I was doing the PIR there - do you have the pre-existing certs???
Pre - existing Certs ?- Don't Joke! - No one there knows what they are or where they are. The only evidence of testing is on that 63a MEM isolator and the cabinet in the basment that it takes its feed from

Would you let us know of any updates, if you can, I for one would be interested if they actually take any advise given freely or otherwise.

Certainly Will, Though I doubt it will get done this financial year. Their sprinkler system froze back before christmas and they are still stalling on getting that fixed. So they have had to keep two members of staff in round the clock to watch for fires! My bet is this one here being the first!

The MICC doesn't worry me as such - more the 'crossed neutrals' and the warm CU. Plus not an RCD in Sight! (Anywhere in the building) Maintenance guy has taken to using plug in RCDs round the store on practically everything
Those old Crabtree C50 boards had a poor neutral block. I am guessing that the crossed neutrals are simply cables not terminated in corresponding holes to the breaker. If so its not a real problem as Micc cables mean its easy to trace the L&N.

Top marks for all the labeling though :Applaud

What's making the boards run warm? The breakers getting hot, or some other unknown problem inside?

I'd love to see some pictures with the covers off.

If I Am not banned from the store for suggesting that they are replaced, and I can get back in there, I'll get a picture with the covers off. I think that boards are running warm due the amount of things being run from it (mainly a LOT of lighting) and the fact the boards have been running to capacity 24 - 7 for months. I'd hate to have to pay the leccy bill

Looks like the original MICC cables were put in by people who had time to take some pride in their work. Sadly, most of the rest looks like add-ons which have been 'slung in' over the years.

Did a PIR at a swimming pool in a hotel last week, 2 3phase boards, crossed neutrals everywhere.

I thought, I'll pop these back in the right places while testing. Oh dear, neutrals crossed between the boards, neutrals crossed somewhere out on the circuits and circuits sharing one neutral. No way I'm sorting that out during the PIR, noted down on the PIR and board labelled.

Latest posts