Dodgy / Dangerous Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally Andy I'd fire one of to every MP in your region, afterall we know not how far this guy travels for work? Followed by a copy to every dept in government.

Andy,

You have a contact from me, if not come back to me & I'll re-send it, he will be REALLY interested, this is serious stuff mate TBH.

Andy,

You have a contact from me, if not come back to me & I'll re-send it, he will be REALLY interested, this is serious stuff mate TBH.
just looked and ive still got his email address from last time. later in the week once i get more info from landlord ill send him an email with some pics and a link to this thread

Cant add alot other than whats already been said, but genuinely interested to know how this all came about.

5WWs first job?

No training at all?

Tradesman but not a electrician?

I have no idea how some of these people sleep at night.

As a matter of interest, is anyone following this?

http://www.kentonlin...d_at_store.aspx
There's a thread on this forum about it. But as yet no details are know other than someone was electrocuted but we don't know what exactly he was doing.Now wouldn't it be a "shame" if the guy that did the dodgy wiring in this post killed himself due to his own dangerous work? (better that, than kill someone else, which is what I fear will happen if this guy is allowed to carry on doing that sort of work)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was duck tape.

Quite apart from all the electrical wrongness, I just can't understand a customer "accepting" such shoddy work. Flush boxes on the surface with bare cables, surface boxes with great holes hacked out of them etc. If anyone did work like that in my house they would either put it right, or not get paid.
Customers accept such **** because it is becoming the norm - that is why dreadful work no longer stands out the way it used to.

Forget complaining via any Scheme provider, they couldn`t care less.

ALWAYS get the customer to complain via TRADING STANDARDS.

I think some of these problems are indirectly attributed by the current financial situation of people, and the extortionate fees local building control charge.

You, electricians who are fully qualified.. Charge a reasonable rate.. Because you are highly skilled and qualified... Your equipment costs money, your training costs money and your day to day business expenses cost money.

But for some people, DIYers in particular especially if on lower income and they are ignorant to how things "should" be done.. Lol like I've seen somebody use a "cooker cable" for a good 50m run to their garage supply, and even somehow get an NICEIC sticker for the consumer unit in that garage. They go for the cheapest quote, which is not normally the fully qualified electrician.. Like I know average for a rewire is 2000 - 3500 so if somebody came along offering to do it for 1000-1500 chances are the ignorant homeowner would go for cheapest quote and end up with a dangerous shoddy job like above.. And building control charge upwards of £200 which is deemed unnecessary and inflated to most DIYers, if they charged £40-50 then probably a lot more people would do it legally.

With electrics I can understand the slightly higher charges because they have to pay an electrician to inspect and test.

But, things like window replacement my past experience was they charge £150, then they came down, didnt bother checking anything like if window was securely fitted, whether the windows were draft free, whether they had toughened glass where relevant... All he did was put a thing on the glass for a second.. Did that on about 3 windows, then ******** off saying everything was fine certificate would be posted... Made me wonder what the £150 was for... If I went around charging £150 for 5 minutes work id be on watchdog, rogue traders and investigated by trading standards.. So when people feel like they aren't getting their money's worth it makes them reluctant to notify in first place.

Result is you end up with either the DIYer who doesn't notify because its too expensive.

Or the cowboy builder who knows nothing about electrics and doing jobs for half the price of a qualified electrician..