Dodgy / Dangerous Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found this today

short version: 'electrician' has re-wired lights & CU. DNO have disconnected power due to it being dangerous

have a quick look around and rough is an understatement.

PA303663.jpg

PA303675.jpg

then moves onto board. wonder what those 2x 1.5 are for.

PA303666.jpg

they cant be 'meter tails', can they?

PA303670.jpg

then removes cover. thats a bit odd... there is only new colours but he never touched anything other than the lights? and each breaker only has 1.5 in it

PA303672.jpg

wonder how he has connected them to old?

PA303683.jpg

that would be the ring...

and this would be everything else

PA303689.jpg

seems as thought he only cable he keeps is 1.5 T&E & 3C&E

owner forwarded me the text of the email from original spark... he wanted to re-wire it becuse the lights didnt have an earth/ yet he never connected any of the earths for anything else

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope nobody paid for that cowboy?

I think those "meter tails" must get the black museum "all time bodge" award for just downright dangerous.

I take it you are quoting to put it all right and restore power?

If ever there's a case for someone being struck off / fined or whatever for shoddy work, this has to be it.

and what about earthing? I can't see an earth connecting in to that CU.

At least there's an isolator. Otherwise the seal fairy would have gone in strike when it saw that mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people should not even bother getting out of bed.

Has he also put the CU where the gas meter is going?

I hope nobody paid for that cowboy?

I think those "meter tails" must get the black museum "all time bodge" award for just downright dangerous.

I take it you are quoting to put it all right and restore power?

If ever there's a case for someone being struck off / fined or whatever for shoddy work, this has to be it.

and what about earthing? I can't see an earth connecting in to that CU.

At least there's an isolator. Otherwise the seal fairy would have gone in strike when it saw that mess.
he got paid £1150 for that bodge

quoting to repair it properly. can probably keep most of the cables, but each light & switch will also need re-done

there is earthing to gas & a rod, but i couldnt see any to water

and there is an isolator now... there wasnt before. if you look closly at the 'meter tails', you will notice the marks match what the screws on the meter would...

gas meter is an another room, and has a 6mm to it

Flipin eck some poor sod paid £1150 for that

The guy really really should be up in court. Dangerous just doesn't begin to describe what he did. If they can't get him for dangerous (because our legal system seems to only take not when someone dies or gets injured) then fraud would seem to be a good charge.

If nobody has thought of it before I wonder if these people could be had up under consumer protection law. I'll ask my brother, he's a lawyer and expert in this field (I kid ye NOT!).

.....owner forwarded me the text of the email from original spark..
Was this person really a proper qualified spark ?. I am apalled by what I have seen !. This person is not skilled and must be stopped before somebody loses their life !.

Thanks for the pics Andy. A scoob from me too.

Is the customer going to officially complain? surely trading standards could be involved in something like this. If they have paid £1000+ then that must have included replacing the fuse box, which I guess has not been notified? Could any manufactures serial numbers or stamp marks in the plastic case confirm how old the CU is, and thus the earliest it could have been installed?

Doc H

I totally agree Doc.

Plenty of people complain about minor errors in electrical installations, but this job takes "dangerous install" to a completely new level. something needs to be done to stop this person continuing to do electrical work, before someone is killed. He clearly has not got a clue what he is doing.

Trading standards certainly need to be notified of this.

I'm not sure about notifying the LABC of the non notified work? It would be the poor householder that gets the flack for that one, not the installer. That's just one aspect of your part pee stuff that the guy who does the work, takes the money and runs, does not seem to get into trouble for it, but the householder might.

Hopefully that aspect of it will be put right when Andy puts it right. I'm sure he will notify it properly then.

It would be nice to find he issued NICEIC certificates, if so they would delight in fining him for using their logo, but I doubt he issued any certificates.

I totally agree Doc.

Plenty of people complain about minor errors in electrical installations, but this job takes "dangerous install" to a completely new level. something needs to be done to stop this person continuing to do electrical work, before someone is killed. He clearly has not got a clue what he is doing.

Trading standards certainly need to be notified of this.

I'm not sure about notifying the LABC of the non notified work? It would be the poor householder that gets the flack for that one, not the installer. That's just one aspect of your part pee stuff that the guy who does the work, takes the money and runs, does not seem to get into trouble for it, but the householder might.

Hopefully that aspect of it will be put right when Andy puts it right. I'm sure he will notify it properly then.

It would be nice to find he issued NICEIC certificates, if so they would delight in fining him for using their logo, but I doubt he issued any certificates.
Dave why do you mention NICEIC, why not mention others, it seems everyone always mentions NICEIC when taking a pop at schemes.