Dimplex Duoheat Heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hectorthetester

Reaction score
A mate of mine purchased a couple of Dimplex Duoheat heaters for installation in his flat.Problem is there are only existing off peak supplies present where the old storage heaters were located.Is it possible to install these Duoheat heaters at the old storage heater positions & leave the 24 hour supplies unconnected? My thoughts are they will not operate as economically as they are designed for but my mate is keen on installing them in preference to a standard Dimplex storage heater.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :D

Why would he go to the added expense of buying duo heat storage heaters and then not wire them up correctly. May as well just get normal storage heaters. This is an April fool surely.

:D

To tell you the truth Batty,i would rather he returned the heaters & got standard storage heaters but he is a fussy customer!

They won`t mate! The Duoheat unit rely on the 24hr supply for the electronics - which includes the thermostats and charge level controls. Without those supplies, I would expect you to have "dimplex duocold" units.

Sorry. :( They have electronics because they`re designed to have permanent supply AND off-peak;

In a nutshell, the right item for the job is needed, or the job needs modifying with the addition of FCUs for the duoheats.

KME

Got a feeling everything will also reset itself every time the off peak kicks in so really the only option is install 24H supplies or get the proper heaters.You just know not doing it right will come back and bite you in the arse later. ;)
Bum

Nice idea Andy™, but Lurchio is correct here - there isn`t an NVM on the electronics - they expect to have permanent supply.

Accepted, the storage part will charge to a nominal level under those conditions; but it isn`t really an acceptable install, IMO.#

To quote our friend batty: "bum!"

iirc dimplex telling me of this problem a few years ago when i was installing them. People were getting confused between the off peak and peak isolators, they were turning the peak isolator off when getting too hot. this as said before resets everything and puts the charge levels to a high level, so they were then getting more heat!

iirc dimplex telling me of this problem a few years ago when i was installing them. People were getting confused between the off peak and peak isolators, they were turning the peak isolator off when getting too hot. this as said before resets everything and puts the charge levels to a high level, so they were then getting more heat!
A suggestion:

Make the peak isolator a 20A DP key switch and the off peak a standard 20A DP switch.

It would be easy for any customer to confuse two identical isolators that are not labelled.