Do i need a rewire?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyRaz

Reaction score
Hi first post here. I was wondering what the likelyhood of my house needing a full rewire was as im considering selling my house soon. I also believe some rooms could do with more plug sockets either way, unsure if i can do this without a rewire.

Ive taken pictures of mains box & fuses to give an idea, i believe this would need updating either way?

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30hy983.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2vsowgm.jpg

I had read that grey wiring was a good sign & there are no plug sockets mounted in skirting boards in the house. Also read that the number of outlets was something to watch for.

The Kitchen (has been extended) has 5 outlets, 4 double & 1 single.

Living room (also extended) has 4 (2 double & 2 single)

Main bedroom has 1 double socket

2nd bedroom has 1 single socket

3rd bedroom has 1 single socket.

So the bedrooms are lacking moreso & perhaps the livingroom could do with more. Thats all i can think to give atm.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Jonny Raz. Thank you for adding the photos. The actual fuse box is still compliant with current regulations. But it is not as safe as a modern fuse box with MCB switch fuses and full RCD shock protection. If you are doing alterations, the circuits & fuse box should ideally be brought up to current standards. if you choose to leave the wiring as it is that is also acceptable. A new owner may prefer to have any new sockets where they consider more appropriate rather than where you choose to put any.

The condition of the actual physical cables should be checked to verify they are not damaged have correct polarity and earthing etc. A periodic inspection would verify this, typically it would be between half to one days labour for the average electrician, dependent upon what the test results find. If the cables are OK you may wish to upgrade the fuse box anyway because a lot of estate agents will notice an old wired type fuse box and immediately flag up having a full electrical check of the wiring. You could purchase a fully equipped fuse box for anywhere between

Welcome to the forum JonnyRaz !.

I would suggest that it's difficult for anyone to make a judgement on the entire wiring system based on the information you have provided by your pictures. I would recommend that a competent electrician calls and does a full Periodic Inspection Report which will then be a very useful document for when you put your house up for sale. it is likely that at the very least you will need to have your consumer unit and earthing upgraded.

As above really I would very much doubt Rewire would be needed.I would probably get a local electrician from near you,there will be one from this forum is have thought,to come and test to see the integrity of installation.if you changed the board and got all the certain (which you should) and notification from building control.that would be a massive tick for when you do sell. And also a lot safer until then too.

HTH Wayne

Also is the first fuse box for storage heaters and is it still on use? Looks like earth been cut don photo.

I concur with what others have said.

Get a local electrician near you to have a look. If you really want to be certain, get him to do a Periodic Inspection report.

As a very minimum get him to fit a new consumer unit (with all the earthing upgrades etc necessary) Otherwise any surveyor is likely to take one look and say it needs a rewire and knock

As above. My view is dont bother doing anything. It wont make the value of your house higher & anything you put in may not be what the prospective purchasers want. It will probably be cheaper in the long run to let them knock a bit of money off the purchase price rather than pay for a rewire and decoration.