Downlighters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geffers

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some info on this. Transformer gone on some downlights customer says its the 2nd one he has had in 2 years & has asked if i can convert from 12v to 230v Is there any difference regarding the lampholders? Is it as easy as it seems just reconnect to the lighting circuit & change the bulbs to 230?

There are 10 altogether they were in 2 x banks of five with one tranny feeding each bank. Job could get messy & expensive to i doubt if they want to change the lampholders. GU10 holder change look promising where can i get them?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:46 ----------

I am sure i have seen MR16 LED 240V lamps i am sure they will go for this option if i can get some even if they are about 7 quid a lamp.

MR16 is a 12v conenctor. GU10 is a 230v connector.

one tx feeding many will most likely need new wiring between 230v side & all downlights to change them to 230v GU10

Yeah Andy good thinking way ahead of me lol. It could be a nightmare if theyre fed through joists tightly and depending on if loads of slack has been left and you can get to the terminations, could be impossible. Whats the access above ?

Also 12V lights give a crisper white light over a slightly yellowy light of a GU10 and two trannies in 2 years aint the end of the world, id try better makes of tranny before changing the whole lighting over? just a thought

thanks andy, each lamp has its own 1.5mm cable to it which is connected to the tranny, a connector block with the lamp connector then completes the circuit on each fitting so if i replace the MR16 for a GU10 this would seem the easiest solution?

wife gone out in the car so i cannot see what the rating was. all the cabling looks good as only 2yrs old so what do you thing change to GU10 holders?

what size are the transformers? if you've got 5 lights on one transformer its possible there bieng overloaded. Also if the lamps are quite far away from the transformer this can be a problem

you could just bypass the transformer, maybe replace with a JB. if youve got T+E to each light then simply connect 230 GU10 lamp holder.

the connector block that connects the lamp holder need to be enclosed. use a choc box or summit

aurora do a 12v 6watt led lamp as a direct replacement for standard mr16 lamps as long as the fittings are open they are a direct swap. I had a customer brought them from amazon part no. is a2-mr1606 not sure how much they were though but maybe an easier option than gu10's and I have had customers say gu10 lamps don't last long.

I`ve fitted some MR16 LED lamps from TLC - optional driver. Driver extends lifespan by 3X; and avoids any tendancy for stroboscopic effects.

If the O/P has TXs with 5 outputs, I`d love to know what they are - I don`t recall ever seeing more than 3 TBH - unless you use the halostar type TXs; but they`re not designed for high power MR11/16 lamps.

To address the Q about 230V MR16 lamps - if you can find `em, show `em to trading standards......they`ll have a field day with that.

Does anyone else find linking GU fittings a pain, they all come with small choc blokes fitted, which makes linking a bank painful, or do you just fit a connector to do the power in, through, on and switch wire on the first lamp as you can have upto four wires?

Latest posts