EICR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

champagnecharly

Reaction score
Not a pro. hoping this might be the best place to ask though.

Looking at an EICR..
on upstairs circuit
r2 = 1.17.
r1 = 0.48.
r2+r1 = 0.41
I'm concerned by the high r2.
There is a note regards lack of continuity in cpc on that circuit which was repaired.
Observation description included c2 but coded as NA.
If the fault was rectified. Which r2 should be used? Pre or post repair
The EIPCR done the following year before new tenant. showed a very different set of values
r1= 0.24
r2 =0.35
r1+r2 = 0.15

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

You should be aware there is a difference between upper and lower case designations.

When we refer to R1+R2 this is upper case R1, R2 (And Rn, if it were relevant)

ring end to ends are lower case r1, rn and r2.

Normally R1+R2 = (r1+r2)/4 but any spurs off the ring will distort this assumption

Not a pro. hoping this might be the best place to ask though.

Looking at an EICR..
on upstairs circuit
r2 = 1.17.
r1 = 0.48.
r2+r1 = 0.41
I'm concerned by the high r2.
There is a note regards lack of continuity in cpc on that circuit which was repaired.
Observation description included c2 but coded as NA.
If the fault was rectified. Which r2 should be used? Pre or post repair
The EIPCR done the following year before new tenant. showed a very different set of values
r1= 0.24
r2 =0.35
r1+r2 = 0.15

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

are you a spark or the customer ?

You should be aware there is a difference between upper and lower case designations.

When we refer to R1+R2 this is upper case R1, R2 (And Rn, if it were relevant)

ring end to ends are lower case r1, rn and r2.

Normally R1+R2 = (r1+r2)/4 but any spurs off the ring will distort this assumption
Thanks. Nice to know. That works out as expected.
but if
r2 aprox ≈ 1.67(r1)
it's well out isn't it?

R2 should be approx 1.666 x r1 on a cirucit wired in 2.5/1.5 twin, yes, but your figures do not fit that.

In fact your figures are almost right for a 2.5/1 ring that might have a little bit of 2.5/1.5 used on alterations

I agree those figures tally with a 1.0 cpc. People automatically put 1.5 when they see 2.5 T&E without questioning it when the readings contradict it.

R2 should be approx 1.666 x r1 on a cirucit wired in 2.5/1.5 twin, yes, but your figures do not fit that.

In fact your figures are almost right for a 2.5/1 ring that might have a little bit of 2.5/1.5 used on alterations
interesting.
Would 2.5/1 be found on a newish install in new colours?
What about data from EICR 1 year later.
No rewire done in between. so you'd expect same conductor sizes. .

neither the tenant that moved into a place with a bunch of EICRs and suspect electrical work. I hope its ok to post this question here and it doesn't offend

no offence taken

it’s just helpful to gauge your knowledge when answering questions.

the underlying problem with EICR’s, especially those organised by lettings agents is that they are often low cost, brief inspections that aren’t often worth the paper they are printed on

1.0 cpcs would date back to the early 1970s so if it is later than this they should be 1.5.
if it’s white 2.5 mm / 1.0 mm is from 1976 to about 1981.
certainly not from that period.

no offence taken

it’s just helpful to gauge your knowledge when answering questions.
I'm grateful everybody has been spoon feeding me.
the underlying problem with EICR’s, especially those organised by lettings agents is that they are often low cost, brief inspections that aren’t often worth the paper they are printed on
Nuts when the lack of integrity to save pennies can cost lives.

Last edited:
Maybe go around all the sockets on the circuit and tighten all the terminals up. Could just be a loose earth on a socket or two.

Maybe go around all the sockets on the circuit and tighten all the terminals up. Could just be a loose earth on a socket or two.
What im doing is looking for anomalies and things that maybe ought not to have been left without investigation or alternatively had been calculated and not measured.

That’s all well and good but if the OP doesn’t have proper it suitable test kit then they can see if they have made any difference
It's more of theoretical given the r2 in question is from 2021 and the most recent from 2022 are better but still have a bunch of other things that are suspect.

I suppose we will, eventually, in the UK realise the folly of still using T&E and cpc's of a different size to the phase and neutral and embrace the rest of the modern world. 😇