ELECSA Assesment passed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a footnote do you not have to show two jobs for an anual assesment? I do!

Had one recently, myself. I had laid out the cooker connection point plus a fused spur to provide ignition supply for a gas cooker. The gas had not been laid on yet.

Went back to fit main bonding to the new gas supply to find that they had ripped out the work I had done because it got in the way of where they wanted to put the new gas pipe.

When I pointed out to the owner that what they had done was unsafe, was told, "well, you can fix it back how you like but I ain't paying"

The next day I showed him photographs of before and after I had done the work. Told him the price to put it all right again, all sorted half-hour later.

Moral of this - take your digi camera with you to every job and record your work. Arse covered.

Hi Guys.

Yes, I've calmed down a bit this morning, and have to agree with the assessor, I should have checked things out as I was going to show him that job.

A lesson for my ego Blushing

Think i've found a way out of it, complicated to explain though in just text... the jist is...

Do you think it will be alright if I run a (single) 10mm earth to external white box gas meter (and loop off to new sink/hot/cold directly behind white box inside) from my new mini CU in the utility room, that is fed by a 10mm 3 core SWA from main CU?

Effectively I'm proposing to use the 10mm earth core of the SWA for the first part of the run of a new main bond, whilst also using it to supply the earth path for the mini CU.

2nd part of the run to be a new 10mm earth (single).

Short answer would be no.

Main bonding should be stright through to the main earthing terminal for the instalation.

What you propose is to "piggy back" the bonding.

If you do that you have connected the bonding to a cpc of a circuit.

The best option would be

a. pickup the water bonding from stop tap if possible pull through 2 10mm earths using the water bonded 10mm as a pull cord then extend to outside gas meter or where the gas pipe enters the house.

b. connect a 10mm earth from the water to the gas.

Option b is clouded as acceptable but if corectly crimped is not outside the regulations.

I am assuming that the water stop tap is situated under the sink, if not then you may have to run a 10mm earth to gas seperately.

I did one recently where the only feasable way was to run the earth outside the property in conduit, due to customer requirements regarding distruption and decoration costs.Remember also that if in comming supply pipe is plastic and the house is plumbed in plastic there is no requirement to bond, so if the water supply is new and the pipework is plastic then take the bond from the water, crimp connect and take it to the gas and that would comply with all regulations.

Thanks for that Green Hornet.

I hear you, i just thought it was arguable whether the SWA is a circuit in it's own right, or just no more than meter tails effectively.

It could of course be argued that every installation is just ONE circuit seeing as there is a main fuse covering all branches from... :|

I now can't tell what has happened to the gas meter end of that particular main bond, as it's lost behind the new kitchen units, and they would require dismantling to gain access.

The water main bond is also in this area, I have in fact since my first post managed to blindly grab this and pull it, unfortunately i've pulled it clean out, I don't think the kitchen fitters had clamped it on properly. To further complicate things this is in the complete opposite corner of the room to the sink position now, with a large conservatory to go around if I take that route.

Still, you've given me some ideas, cheers Guiness Drink