ELECSA Assessment Job - CU Consumer Unit Change and Circuit Extending

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like a reasonable length on the old cables - any reason for joining them? i would probably have fitted the new CU where the enclosure is and save a lot of extra work

old cables were way too short for the confiquration of the breakers at new board didnt just do it for fun you know added about an extra hour on to job headbang

It does look like there was enough cable to put cu there, but like you say may be not enough to configure it how you wanted, nice to see you it done that way rather than just stressing the cables or crimping them ;) O and how lucky were you to have an isolator ;) ))

yep when i first seen job thought same but 4 circuits short by 3 to 4 inches each apart from one which if you look, i didnt extend . :yawn

Last edited:
Yep, nice to see time and effort put in, O and meant to say well done for passing

Some CUs are blinking stupid,,, R-L for neutrals and then L-R for the earths :red card
I just cut the labels off and connect logically, after all the labels dont do anything anyway, they dont even meet the requirements for labeling.

Looks a nice job although i think if i was going to join cables i would have made it more accessible nothing worse than having to get steps when light trip trips no offence steps.

Looks a nice job although i think if i was going to join cables i would have made it more accessible nothing worse than having to get steps when light trip trips no offence steps.
Apart from paying his bill :)

And Steps on Steps is not allowed under H&S :innocent

Last edited by a moderator:
Just not sure why you didn't lower the board a little and extend the trunking up to the huge junction box? I don't like to see holes in the top of consumer units even if they are right up on the ceiling. As noz said I don't see a problem with a few crimps or wagos extending slightly short cables, they are still in an enclosure inside a consumer unit. Last point I like to see my cables dressed in down behind the breakers instead of all crammed up above the breakers. Still better than most of the stuff that I come across so sorry for being so picky not trying to be negative just a pedant!

eeb1933

cheers

are they the push fit terminals or screw wago din wago connectors? looks good
they are sort of spring fit you have to insert a screwdriver to hold open the connector then when you remove it it locks cable in place .different sizes and ratings.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:06 ----------

ma4tty

cheers got from https://www.wagobox.com/ bit expensive for enclosure but better than crimping wouldnt use it for every install but assessor wouldnt stop going on about it and he the one to keep happy and customer was very pleased.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:20 ----------

graham

the cables were 3 to 4 inches short and yes i useally use crimps but seen this and have used them 3 times now customers have always been happy to pay the extra and have been happy with install. yeh was going to bring trunking all the way over both cu and box but cables wouldnt reach din rail ,but then again i could have still continued over cu ill take that one, dont think earths and neutral look to crammed in but hey each to their own.oh yeh thanks i think:tongue in cheek

Nice job ccfc,

Even though it seems at first glance your choice in football teams leaves a lot to be desired! ;)

Don't WagoBox sell the proper earth terminals for DIN rails though?

batty

[/nothing worse than having to get steps when light trip tripsQUOTE] was going to move board down to left of suppliers back board but customer was insistent that it was where it went couldnt really argue as it wasnt new build so still could go that high its down to him now if he falls off steps:Chair fall---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:40 ----------

sidewinder

cheers

dont mention coventry city fc not very happy about goings on there at present.

yeh wagobox do sell the proper earth terminals but i have never used them.