electrical installation certs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyt

Reaction score
a mate of mine has just purchased a new house, its a new build and was finished last month. he asks me to have a quick look at electrics to see what i think. To cut a long story short its a complete and utter bodge. wrong size mcbs, board incorrectly labled, switchs wired incorrectly and therefore not working and the worst bit thers 11 sockets that dont work! anyway i ask him for the EIC and he tells me he doesnt have one. he speaks to soliciter today and she advises that she has the cert but will not give it to him but she will copy it. he is adament that what she is telling him is correct but i couldnt disagree more. Having never brought a house before i dont no the ins and outs of the legal system but im 100% sure his soliciter should not just be giving him a copy. can some one please assure me im not going mad

Its probably held with the HIP's now that will probably be kept with the deeds by the mortgage company.

Yes and they have to give them to their sols for HIP when they move.

Page 334 BS7671

electrical installation certificates...

Guidance for recipients

2nd paragraph in...

Original copy to person ordering the work, duplicate kept with contractor,

but if user is not the person who ordered the work then the certificate (or a copy) should be passed onto the user.

HTH

;)

And I'm sure the sparks did give it to the person who ordered the work and then passed it on to the sols for the hip.

There must be as how else would they have obtained a completion cert from LABC that would have been needed to sell the property?

Its probably held with the HIP's now that will probably be kept with the deeds by the mortgage company.
Incidentally all deeds are now computerised by the Land Registry Office, so any documents held by the Mortgage lender are meaningless, I was sent mine a few years back, you will like get them if you ask your lender

This shows how part p is not working if a new house is sold with electrics like that. Generally I get most sockets working shouldn't joke have one at the moment with two faults on a ring main but thats another story.

Im with ianmac on this one,

you/(your brother) dont own the house so you dont have the right to the certs.

remember a solicitor can only do what is legal.

but by the sounds of it you/your brother may have very little grounds of recourse from this, will depend a lot on what the cert says,

for instance, it may say that 11sockets have been disconnected,

its a bit late now to be looking at certs, shoulda been done before buying IMO.

i would think that now he owns the house he would require all associated documents in his possesion too. when my parents recently purchased a new build they had the original cert for me too look at. Anyway from what i can see there is a serious amount of work required to bring this installation up to standard. the contractor responsible is registered with napit thats about as much as i no. After complaining that several sockets didnt work, the so call electrician turned up with no test gear and unscrewed a few skt fronts and told my mate that he must have drilled through a cable and thats why they didnt work. Upon inspection and testing by myself ive come to the conclusion that these sockets are all linked together on a continuous ring which doesnt apear to end up at the board, ie a loop of sockets. how do these people get away with this crap?

No need for anyone other than the person requesting the work to have a copy IMO.

If the solicitor is copying a set for you that's more than is required, and for now I'd not kick up a fuss as they may decide to not do that if they get wind of the fact that the cert is actually useless and the installation is a complete shambles.

Get a copy, then start suing. They'll have to produce the originals at some point then. ;)

i would think that now he owns the house he would require all associated documents in his possesion too.
Does he own the house or does the bank own most of it?

when my parents recently purchased a new build they had the original cert for me too look at.
Did they buy it outright or with a lender? I'm sure you could have viewed the original before the completion if needed.

Anyway from what i can see there is a serious amount of work required to bring this installation up to standard. the contractor responsible is registered with napit thats about as much as i no.
Until you see the cert you can not guess why the MCB's are the sizes they are. I would not have thought he would have notified though his little club as LABC would have been involved in the entire build and should have issued a completion cert for ALL the work.

After complaining that several sockets didnt work, the so call electrician turned up with no test gear and unscrewed a few skt fronts and told my mate that he must have drilled through a cable and thats why they didnt work. Upon inspection and testing by myself ive come to the conclusion that these sockets are all linked together on a continuous ring which doesnt apear to end up at the board, ie a loop of sockets. how do these people get away with this crap?
Are they not safe then? If they are not linked back to the CU then they can not be energised so how is that unsafe?

I would suggest you arrange an onsite with the spark once you have a copy of the cert and have had a decent look at the install.

Does he own the house or does the bank own most of it?Did they buy it outright or with a lender? I'm sure you could have viewed the original before the completion if needed.

Until you see the cert you can not guess why the MCB's are the sizes they are. I would not have thought he would have notified though his little club as LABC would have been involved in the entire build and should have issued a completion cert for ALL the work.

Are they not safe then? If they are not linked back to the CU then they can not be energised so how is that unsafe?

I would suggest you arrange an onsite with the spark once you have a copy of the cert and have had a decent look at the install.
house is owned as bought 100% cash, would u protect a 1mm t&e coveredin insulation with a 20a type c breaker?, i didnt say they were unsafe as there is no power to them but can u imagine the job of energising that circuit correctly in a fully furnished house with expensive oak engineered floor throughout? my general point being how could someone make so many f*** ups on a single job and then supply a cert implying its safe and complete when it obviously isnt even to the untrained.

Does he own the house or does the bank own most of it?Did they buy it outright or with a lender? I'm sure you could have viewed the original before the completion if needed.

+1

house is owned as bought 100% cash, would u protect a 1mm t&e coveredin insulation with a 20a type c breaker?, i didnt say they were unsafe as there is no power to them but can u imagine the job of energising that circuit correctly in a fully furnished house with expensive oak engineered floor throughout? my general point being how could someone make so many f*** ups on a single job and then supply a cert implying its safe and complete when it obviously isnt even to the untrained.
and how is it unsafe?

how can it be unsafe, or even a part of the electrical installation if its not energised?

does this not imply that the buyers bought a house without the correct guidance,?

like people we **** off for having electrical work done and not having a proper electrician do it,.

pay a good spark for a PIR and these faults would have been picked up before the house was bought,

as I see it another case of people saving pennies to cost them pounds.

I wouldn't use 1mm t&e anywhere. Always seemed too much like fuse wire to me. Theoretically 1.5 can take up to 20A but you are second guessing the installer.

I understand you are annoyed by what appears to be a bad job but please do wait for all the information before jumping to a conclusion.

and how is it unsafe?how can it be unsafe, or even a part of the electrical installation if its not energised?

does this not imply that the buyers bought a house without the correct guidance,?

like people we **** off for having electrical work done and not having a proper electrician do it,.

pay a good spark for a PIR and these faults would have been picked up before the house was bought,

as I see it another case of people saving pennies to cost them pounds.
i was implying that incorrectly protected cables and incorrectly marked consumer units are not safe. the lack of power at the sockets is a major cock up if nothing else. the house was brought from a reputable builder and was one of 6 on a new development. would you pay for a pir on a brand new house? i think not. who do you imply is saving the pennies?i think you have misread the original thread

Latest posts