electrical installation certs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't use 1mm t&e anywhere. Always seemed too much like fuse wire to me. Theoretically 1.5 can take up to 20A but you are second guessing the installer.I understand you are annoyed by what appears to be a bad job but please do wait for all the information before jumping to a conclusion.
whats wrong with 1mm? and its not 1.5mm in question its 1mm as stated. i am very annoyed indeed but not half as much as my mate who bought the house from a reputable builder. i have enough information to conclude there are several major issues that need adressing. these are things i found when i spent 1 1/2hrs there. i will be going back to carry out a complete inspection when i have time

I think your mate needs a serious word with his surveyor.
from a legal aspect though where would he stand? there is small print for everything nowadays

Sparkyt, it is indeed a poor show for a new build. The problem as I see it , is with the builder, he has handed a house over with electrical problems , ie; 11 sockets with no power and some oversized breakers. The so called sparks has given the EIC to the person who ordered the work ,the builder, it will be interesting to view the copy, as said above, I guess the original stays with the deeds.

Perhaps the builder got it done on the cheap and blagged a cert from someone else, who knows, will you keep us posted.

Deke

Sparkyt, it is indeed a poor show for a new build. The problem as I see it , is with the builder, he has handed a house over with electrical problems , ie; 11 sockets with no power and some oversized breakers. The so called sparks has given the EIC to the person who ordered the work ,the builder, it will be interesting to view the copy, as said above, I guess the original stays with the deeds. Perhaps the builder got it done on the cheap and blagged a cert from someone else, who knows, will you keep us posted.

Deke
you may be very right there, im just so angry i would never hand a job over untill it was tested and all working. this cowboy has been paid in full so i cant see him coming back to sort this mess in a hurry. i will indeed keep u posted.

there is deffo an issue as to the standard of building works, even if we ignore the fact of the electrics not even being connected then it wouldnt come under decent homes standard.

you need to see what the cert has on it, then probably seek some legal advice as to how to proceed/who to proceed against, though I would think on a new build it would be the builder, and then NHBC or whatever scheme they are a member of.

if it comes down to it I would think chasing up NIC/ECA/BSI or any other scheme in this instance would prob be a waste of time as it sounds a con job,

someone using someone elses number at the very least I would think.

Might be a stupid idea I dont know , but if this is the condition of 1 of 6 it is possible all 6 have "issues" would it be an idea to wait for the copy of cert at that stage you are in possession of the most important document, at that stage contact building control/planning department ?

Might be a stupid idea I dont know , but if this is the condition of 1 of 6 it is possible all 6 have "issues" would it be an idea to wait for the copy of cert at that stage you are in possession of the most important document, at that stage contact building control/planning department ?
POINT

+1

slow down and get some evidence before we start.

Also as an after thought try to stay on good terms with the main contractor/builder once all is said and done he may be after a new sparky ;) ; )

I still think you are all missing the point I was making.

The sparks would not need to notify though hit little club as BC will already be aware of the work as part of the whole building. In fact anyone could have done this work (registered or not) and filled out a cert to present to BC. This is a loophole for new builds that many self builders jump though to save costs on a registered competent person.

he speaks to soliciter today and she advises that she has the cert but will not give it to him but she will copy it.
house is owned as bought 100% cash
So there are no other parties such as banks with an interest in the house then. What reason did this lawyer give for refusing to hand over the original certificate? She is working for her client, and if he says he wants all the original documents relating to the house (deeds, certificates, the whole works) currently in her safe keeping, what authority does she have to refuse?

I agree to your point on "Who would request a PIR on a Brand New Build".

Also, Is it / Would it be possible to scan the EIC and put it on here. (Minus your Friend's and the Electrical Business's Details, Naturally)?

IF an LABC notice has been issued; through the provider, there is recourse through their insurance against such occurences.

Whether the house is paid for or not, your friend did not order the works, so is not entitled to the original EIC, IMO. Not that it matters - work with the copy......

If the state of the install is as bad as you suggest, legal proceedings against the electrical contractor(s) involved should be fairly straightforward.

KME

n.b. looking forward to seeing a copy of this cert..........?

the contractor responsible is registered with napit
You sure they are a proper mamber and not just using the stickers? Check their details here

http://www.napit.org.uk/fastSearch.asp

Assuming they are a member I'm sure NAPIT would be interested to hear!

See the NAPIT site:

NAPIT can investigate complaints made against NAPIT Registered Businesses and/or NAPIT Registered Technicians where a lack of technical competence is a concern. For example, if any work undertaken doesn't comply with Building Regulations, British Standards or has resulted in an unsafe situation. Wherever possible we recommend that you try and resolve the issue directly with your installer, then contact NAPIT if the situation cannot be resolved. Unfortunately we cannot mediate between householders and NAPIT Registrants concerning any contractual or financial disagreements, unless a written contract for the work has been issued.
http://www.napit.org.uk/consumerComplaints.asp

Its probably held with the HIP's now that will probably be kept with the deeds by the mortgage company.
That is excluding the fact that Electrical certificates are not actually a legal requirement for a HIP yet!!

this has been one of them things NIC/ECA/NAPIT/BSi etc.. were trying to get the government to put into the pack...

But so far No - go! :(

details of what goes in can be found at numerous sites such as

http://www.contractorfinancials.com/HIPs-doc-information.shtml

or..

http://www.localsurveyorsdirect.co.uk/home_information_packs.aspx?source=HIP&gclid=CMi52qC1zJ8CFdoB4wodCSUJKA

etc..

:|

I still think you are all missing the point I was making. The sparks would not need to notify though hit little club as BC will already be aware of the work as part of the whole building. In fact anyone could have done this work (registered or not) and filled out a cert to present to BC. This is a loophole for new builds that many self builders jump though to save costs on a registered competent person.
BUT a reputable spark would be working in accordance with the guidance in BS7671...

and as such would most probably follow guidance given in Guidance Note 3..

and from that he/she should recommend to the person ordering the work, to pass on the certificates to any new owner...

e.g.

Second Paragraph of 1.3.1 Certificates & reports

Page 14 Guidance Note 3

It is recommended that those providing documentation to the person ordering the work recommend that forms be passed on to the user including any purchaser of a domestic property.
so

Certificates should be with the new property owner...

(as they do relate to that installation at that property!!!)

difference would be if it was a rented property & landlord kept certs;)

:D

Latest posts