Emergency Lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Can someone please explain the difference between "maintained" and "non-maintained" emergency lighting Blushing

Thanks in advance.

maintained: light only has a perm live & neutral. it will be lit at all times, and run from battery during power failure

non-maintained light has sw. live, perm. live & neutral. if power applied to sw.live, it will light. if power fails, it will run from battery. it doesnt have to have a sw. live, it will just remain unlit until power failure

note: not all non-maintained have a sw. live, in which case it will only light when power is off

I'm ok to run it straight from breaker in CU then aren't I? Don't have to be able to switch it on/off manually...?

I'm ok to run it straight from breaker in CU then aren't I? Don't have to be able to switch it on/off manually...?
they should have a test switch. note: MCB is allowed as a test switch, but best to have a seperate switch (which allows the main lights to still function whilst emergencies are on test)

and where are you putting the lights? they may need a emergency lighting cert once youve finished?

Hi Nat, In a commercial situation Emgy lights would have key switch for testing. They have to keep a record of tests. You'll see maintained in cinemas and theatres , they are permamently on , if mains fails, battery takes over. You want a non maintained . Just put a permament feed on it . Is it so they can see when breaker trips ? Don't think you really need a test key in that situation TBH, but batteries will last longer if they are discharged occasionally.

They could do a 3 hour test a few times a year by switching the MCB off during daylight.

Feed it from the same breaker as the lights in same area, you could fit a test keyswitch by the board if you want to be fussy.

Deke

I'd say Andy is correct. There is a fitting with a removable link so you can either switch the lamp or make it "maintained".

The third option of course is a "Sustained" or combined Emgy. fitting which has two or more lamps , one switched from the ordinary supply, the other from an emergency lighting supply.

Hi Avinalarf,

might be worth them having an extra emergency light next to the Consumer unit and dependant on what sort of light they have in the hall then you might be able to install your other EM light near that one and fish a cable across in ceiling void and connect to perm live, neutral and earth.

If I do the above, I am creating a "new circuit" aren't I - even if it's going in with another circuit, so this means I have to provide an EIC doesn't it???

Would someone mind confirming this for me, so I don't waste time doing one if it can go on a MWC

Thanks.

If I do the above, I am creating a "new circuit" aren't I - even if it's going in with another circuit, so this means I have to provide an EIC doesn't it???Would someone mind confirming this for me, so I don't waste time doing one if it can go on a MWC

Thanks.
you can take a spur (/branch) from anywhere, including the MCB

even if you add to a MCB, its not a new circuit. think about it - a circuit is from an MCB, so you cannot have 2 circuits from the same source.

Yes, have just thought about it and in agreement. So this means when doing R1, R2 test, Zs etc, I have to include entire circuit then don't I, not just what I've added?

Yes, have just thought about it and in agreement. So this means when doing R1, R2 test, Zs etc, I have to include entire circuit then don't I, not just what I've added?
note the highest reading, which is most likely to be the existing part of the circuit

Andy that can't be right it just does not make sense. I think we are back to adding a spur to a ring main again which is wrong as far as I am concearned.Batty
Hi Batty

My intention is to add an emergency light on the downstairs lighting circuit. Instead of branching from the ceiling rose in the hallway, I was going to come directly from the mcb as the CU is on the other side of the wall where it will be located.

Surely this is ok???

Andy that can't be right it just does not make sense. I think we are back to adding a spur to a ring main again which is wrong as far as I am concearned.Batty
what doesnt make sense? how can you argue that taking a spur from a MCB is wrong but its OK to take it from a socket?

7671 does say somewhere that a spur can be taken at origin of circuit (or something along those lines). dont have regs here to find it though

Latest posts