Extra Cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I was asked to wire a fuseboard and get it ready for testing. The cables were run in 4x4 metal trunking.

Just before i put the cables into the fuseboard, I left a loop of about 6 to 8 inches just in case the board ever had to be moved and for general maintenance.

Is ths good practise as I was told it was a no no.

Your thoughts ??

Always leave "a bit for the boys"

You may be glad of it if you or any one else have to re-terminate for any reason in the future.

i was always taught that itsbetter to be looking AT it than looking for IT
I nearly put that, a project manager on one of the chicken shed jobs taught me that one. Works well.

If there is the room then leave some spare , nothing wrong with that at all . Much better than as with me yesterday, trying to replace a 2g light switch with the cables about 1" long , they must have shoved Brian into the box to connect it !!! Stoopid parts!!!

Been on jobs where 6" trunking was so filled with extra cable that another length (about 4' long) of trunking with the back cut out was fixed on top to allow the extra doubled up cable space to breath. The board was lovely, very neat and tidy with no slack cables at all.

You are not the only one that was told that is a nono, my tutor told our class that when i was at college..... at the moment im sure he said it was something to do with eddie currents being created.... i may be wrong in saying it causes eddie currents but im 100% positive he said its a nono.

Reading again in to where you put the loop, i do that also..... i only think it is a nono if you are doing it to the phase conductors just before terminating into the top of the MCB etc..... also while typing this i think it may also have been something about a magnetic feild being created in the loop.

Latest posts