Fibre CCTV Install

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you lot like pics so there's a couple here of a job I completed this week. I'm back there next week so might grab some of the inside of the cab.

(Click for full size).

There's 2 new 24 core fibres terminated in one patch panel and part of a 48 core and a 16 and 4 core terminated in the other panel. Some are linked straight through from one panel to the other, others are linked to the fibre transceivers above which are fed via the twisted pair transceivers above with cameras feeding that on cat6. All of the kit in the cab is a small part of a much larger CCTV system with a mixture of wireless, fibre and copper transmission that we've been maintaining for a while. We've just chopped the middle of a 1km link out and rerouted some of it due to the existing cable route being flattened.

There are also 4 20 pair copper links in the box connection unit to the right.

Nice one Lurch...

:x :) :Applaud :Applaud:Applaud:Applaud

Now if this had been one of M107's pictures there would have been a Mug of coffee concealed somewhere..

I have looked but I cannot see one! :( :_|

Now if this had been one of M107's pictures there would have been a Mug of coffee concealed somewhere..I have looked but I cannot see one! :( :_|
I'd have knocked it over and killed

a question for you lurch, cable ties make your cu's look neat but what happens later when they want something disonected or added etc, how easy is testing with lack of flexabilty on the cables?

a question for you lurch, cable ties make your cu's look neat but what happens later when they want something disonected or added etc, how easy is testing with lack of flexabilty on the cables?
I hardly ever use cable ties on the average CU change, only really on larger jobs where there is room for it, and I don;t cable tie bunches of cables into the terminal bars so testing isn;t an issue. Cable ties are only really used for larger boards, like 3 phase and the like, to keep cables something like tidy on long runs through the board.

Cable ties aren't a problem to cut correctly, and without damaging the conductor.

I know you lot like pics so there's a couple here of a job I completed this week. I'm back there next week so might grab some of the inside of the cab.(Click for full size).

There's 2 new 24 core fibres terminated in one patch panel and part of a 48 core and a 16 and 4 core terminated in the other panel. Some are linked straight through from one panel to the other, others are linked to the fibre transceivers above which are fed via the twisted pair transceivers above with cameras feeding that on cat6. All of the kit in the cab is a small part of a much larger CCTV system with a mixture of wireless, fibre and copper transmission that we've been maintaining for a while. We've just chopped the middle of a 1km link out and rerouted some of it due to the existing cable route being flattened.

There are also 4 20 pair copper links in the box connection unit to the right.
Are those SC termination's mounted vertically? Interesting choice, what made you choose them over LC?

Are those SC termination's mounted vertically? Interesting choice,
Just the way they came, there was no preference and because the cabinet is a hinged type I couldn;t get a larger one so 1U panels were used.

what made you choose them over LC?
Price mainly. The other ends of all the leads are ST, but I hate ST, proper PITA trying to plug them in when there's loads of them and loads of coaxes rammed in 3U of space so opted for the mid priced SC connectors.

TBH, it's low bandwidth CCTV kit on it so wet string would have worked, there's a mixture of 50 and 62.5 cabling. The link was about 1,000m but we've chopped it in the middle and replaced one half with the above cabinet in the middle. The old cabling is\was terminated into splice trays with 150 pigtails just hanging out of the back, proper mess and right PITA to find anything or plug\unplug any faulty kit etc...

Nice job Lurch. Out of interest do you ever use the Alien Pro gear - I possibly have a high end domestic job to do soon and was thinking of using the above kit as it seems to have reasonably good spec for a good price.

Out of interest do you ever use the Alien Pro gear
Fitted a couple, not bad for the price. Fell out with the supplier though as they are completely useless and fail to deliver every single time we order anything so have given up using them nowadays.

That's interesting to know Lurch. Can I ask who you would recommend as a supplier?
The only supplier I use nowadays by preference don;t do the lower end stuff like the Alien. It's just a Chinese import so some Googling should find other suppliers, who may or may not be any better at stocking\delivering it.

Latest posts