fire alarm courses

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrocuted

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Just after some advice on a course that would explain the basics of panel fire alarm design and installation.

Any help appreciated

Electro unless you are going to do full time fire alarm installing a course is probably not necessary. When I have installed fire alarm systems I have had a rep come out design the system, I then install it you then get them to come back and commision it job done. I personally don't do much fire alarm stuff so can't comment. I did buy the bs document quite a few years back cost quite a bit and only looked at it once or twice and its probably been updated since I brought it.

Batty

Electro unless you are going to do full time fire alarm installing a course is probably not necessary. When I have installed fire alarm systems I have had a rep come out design the system, I then install it you then get them to come back and commision it job done. I personally don't do much fire alarm stuff so can't comment. I did buy the bs document quite a few years back cost quite a bit and only looked at it once or twice and its probably been updated since I brought it.Batty
Thanks batty, the reason I am asking ,is because a friend of mine runs a fire security company and wants to offer the service, so offered to pay for the course.

cheers

You could also have a look here http://www.eca.co.uk/SupportServices/EducationAndTraining/Documents/FSA-FPA2009TrainingPathwayBrochure.pdf

There are a few different courses depending on which areas you need to cover. I recently did a 2 day NICEIC fire alarms and emergency lighting course. The trainer said 'you are now all qualified to design and install fire alarms and EL systems' but you know what.... i'd still get a rep in to do the design. They don't charge for that and they'll be up to spec with any changes in the regs that may have crept in.

You could also have a look here http://www.eca.co.uk/SupportServices/EducationAndTraining/Documents/FSA-FPA2009TrainingPathwayBrochure.pdfThere are a few different courses depending on which areas you need to cover. I recently did a 2 day NICEIC fire alarms and emergency lighting course. The trainer said 'you are now all qualified to design and install fire alarms and EL systems' but you know what.... i'd still get a rep in to do the design. They don't charge for that and they'll be up to spec with any changes in the regs that may have crept in.
Regs do change as Jay t says if you are not doing them all the time you may not know. The last one I did I had not realised the supply to panel has to be done in fp200 or other fire rated cable the rep who designed system put me right though so I did it right and when it was commisioned one of the detectors was faulty it would have taken me hours to find that.

Batty

You could also have a look here http://www.eca.co.uk/SupportServices/EducationAndTraining/Documents/FSA-FPA2009TrainingPathwayBrochure.pdfThere are a few different courses depending on which areas you need to cover. I recently did a 2 day NICEIC fire alarms and emergency lighting course. The trainer said 'you are now all qualified to design and install fire alarms and EL systems' but you know what.... i'd still get a rep in to do the design. They don't charge for that and they'll be up to spec with any changes in the regs that may have crept in.
Hi Electrocuted

Been away for punishment with grand kids BS5839 is not a straight forward course as previousley stated it takes practical experience as well, our design people still have to ask the questions after being on courses ref the different rules.Two days is definetley not long enough to go through all the regs.

I do not and would not put my name to design a fire alarm system (been in the industry over 30 years). Some interpretations come into effect and type of installations many L=life

If thinking of fire installation work do the subbie work with others responsible for the design and commisioning.I can and have commisioned in the past with always variations to the systems,my pet hate is architects and consultants. They wont give a answer because they dont know.

All the best.

Thanks chaps, a lot of food for thought,I will keep you posted if I decide on any action.

Hi ElectrocutedI do not and would not put my name to design a fire alarm system (been in the industry over 30 years).
I know sparks like yourself many years experience but won't take responsibility for design (I'm not criticising). Fear of regs is no reason not to do things, Interpretation is always open on grey areas, as stated many times before, record reasonings for stuff and get on with job.

I know sparks like yourself many years experience but won't take responsibility for design (I'm not criticising). Fear of regs is no reason not to do things, Interpretation is always open on grey areas, as stated many times before, record reasonings for stuff and get on with job.
Binky it is not the responsibility everyone on here bangs the drum about,non Part P sparks doing the work it is down to knowledge it is not learnt on a two day course.(Fire Alarms)

My role is PM for a national Co, responsibilty is for England and Wales contract with goverment sites 153 and increasing. Role is supporting local branches and customer care.Ido still attend sites and use tools if needed but always make sure there is a engineer with me to advise and show the equipment to them.I also carry out training at the branches and due to the current

economical situation getting involved Noth of the border.

Not a fear of regs common sense,Fire,CCTV,perimiter systems,PA systems Care systems,

Plus some others PLCs etc.

Dont get me onto Extinguishing systems all in use in most large buildings.

No not scared.

There are two many who think a course makes them competant,(no offence meant).

I work with Electrical contractors and assist them on thier queries.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are now more adendums to 5839 now and i havent had the latest copy yet.

So will be reading and going through them in the next couple of weeks.

Andy C

that would be all 5 day / fast track sparks...

Got one of them nearby he is the only sparks that knows what he is doing (so he says)