Fire escape lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a guide to lighting for fire escapes - my book of such stuff doesn't cover fire escapes. Looked at one today, 4 levels, 30m wide, single stairwell in middle, and grand total of 4 bulkhead light fittings to illuminate :^O

Probably SLL (CIBSE) documentation mate!

Is this for emergency or for normal use?

HSE do a lighting at work booklet, it is available for free download on their website, but I don't know the code & my paper copy ain't around!

That may help.

Both uses - I have been reading a guide to general emergency lighting for stairwells etc, and assume fire escapes probably have same requirements, just wanted to check that there isn't something specific to fire escapes.

Just BS 5266

6.8.2 E xternal areas in the immediate vicinity of exits

"Illuminance in the area Area immediatly external to (final) exits should not be significantly lower then that immediatly inside the exit.

Local authority (e.g. street) lighting already provided .. may be considered to fulfil the ... clause., IF this is not available then suitable Luminaires should be installed outside the exits .... "

Just BS 5266 6.8.2 E xternal areas in the immediate vicinity of exits

"Illuminance in the area Area immediately external to (final) exits should not be significantly lower then that immediately inside the exit.

Local authority (e.g. street) lighting already provided .. may be considered to fulfil the ... clause., IF this is not available then suitable Luminaires should be installed outside the exits .... "
Would not think you can relie on street lighting what if there is a general power failure all the emergency lighting I have done we have put a bulkhead outside door as well as in.

Just quoting the BS, normal practice is to provide Maintained fitting so always good lighting that will be Maintained IF power fails.

Just quoting the BS, normal practice is to provide Maintained fitting so always good lighting that will be Maintained IF power fails.
Sounds good to me, but having problems with tight fisted property manager, so need to clear of my facts

Canoeboy has hit on a really important part of any emergency lighting design, the risk assessment. The property owner will not be expert in this field but should have done his own assessment, many times a plan will be drawn up with lighting positions based on the risks highlighted. It is then your job to show any failings in this design and correct any mistakes.

If you have any emergency lighting certificates look at the conformity section, D4 and D6 should give you a very good starting point for positioning emergency lighting.

BS5266 is the standards for emergency lighting, but don't get mixed up with signage as it not a emergency light even if it over the door . All manufactures will give you a spacing table and they are all different from type to type you need to look at this to get the right amount of lights fitted in the area ..

The other part you may want to look at is the ICEL , the guide notes are really helpful

Latest posts