First Havells Dist. Board Today.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't know they were sponsers now ,  some of us met the Havells guys at Coventry a few months ago , myself, Sidewinder, Jono , KME , Canoey , Andy tm . 

I left before Stepps arrived , you know what he's like ,  gets you up at the bar and you're there all night  :innocent

I'd best have a look at my opening post,.......hope I wasn't too harsh.   :facepalm:   

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hoping my new stocks will arrive next week, but realistically, it could be w/c 17th March.

After this new order arrives, I shall be increasing my stockholding of Compacts by 25%, to take care of the occasional unexpected massive sales volume and also unexpected availability problems, as I am experiencing at the moment. Hopefully, I am not letting too many people down.

In the meantime, I do have good stocks of the Standard RCBOs, which I am now selling in increasing quantities. The reason is, I believe, that people are moving away from 17th Edition boards, to full RCBO ones, but can't justify the cost of the Compacts on some jobs. And my prices for Standard RCBOs are still probably the cheapest around.

Thank you to those customers who switched to C curve Compacts in the short term, or switched to Standard RCBOs in the short term, or who decided to put back jobs, awaiting  the Compacts.

I will keep you all informed about the progress of my Compact order.

SBS Dave

Didn't know they were sponsers now ,  some of us met the Havells guys at Coventry a few months ago , myself, Sidewinder, Jono , KME , Canoey , Andy tm . 

I left before Stepps arrived , you know what he's like ,  gets you up at the bar and you're there all night  :innocent

I'd best have a look at my opening post,.......hope I wasn't too harsh.   :facepalm:   
:slap

foot_in_mouth_funny_poster-r4367af6f9c704209b2e6dd2b343fb078_yiu_8byvr_512.jpg

havellsuk said:
We're happy to be sponsoring and contributing to the forum as it seems a very friendly site and we look forward to hearing more comments and feedback on switchgear.
Havells Three pahse boards seem to suffer from the same issue as the Wylex PSB range from my experience, that is the breakers don't hold themselves true and then putting the cover back on can be a right pain in the ****. If we compare to something like MEM (becuase I understand some of the MEM design team now work for havells?) then the breakers stay aligned correctly and don't move around.

I imagine it is a cost and a quality of manufacturing issue as it seems to be price point that determines whether a brand of board suffers from it

In addition the terminals on the RCBOs arn't the best and can end up with the threads stripped quite easily

... Well, you did ask :p

Do Havells do reasonably priced IP rated boards. I have one to do looking at the likes of Hager ETC. they seem to be three times the price of a standard board. I was looking to put board in an enclosure Contactum seem to do reasonably priced ones then put DB inside.

Not sure batty, but, I would hope that Havells would come back and let us know.

I have looked at putting boards in enclosures in the past, by the time you add up the cost of the extra labour, and additional materials it rarely makes economic sense TBH.

If you need an ip55 board, then fit one, is my take these days.

Did a site last year where we out about 6 boards in, all site standard, all Schneider, some standard, some HD.

HD as easy to fit as standard, and actually IMHO, they look better.

There was a std in an enclosure there, and it was a pain to work on/modify.

Glanding into the enclosure then into the board is a pain, you have to do both to maintain the ip of the enclosure and to terminate correctly in the board really!

Just IMHO, HTH.

Havells Three pahse boards seem to suffer from the same issue as the Wylex PSB range from my experience, that is the breakers don't hold themselves true and then putting the cover back on can be a right pain in the ****. If we compare to something like MEM (becuase I understand some of the MEM design team now work for havells?) then the breakers stay aligned correctly and don't move around.

I imagine it is a cost and a quality of manufacturing issue as it seems to be price point that determines whether a brand of board suffers from it

In addition the terminals on the RCBOs arn't the best and can end up with the threads stripped quite easily

... Well, you did ask :p
Stacking them from the bottom helps , as I'm sure you know .....some guys start at the top so no support .   Also I notice , like quite a few other brands ,  that the dinrail spring clip is at the mains end of the MCBs .

MEM ! ...MEM !.......Have you seen the cost of them !!   The Birmingham factory has gone I believe so they'll be made in the land of the rising cheap labour I presume.

I am impressed with the speed my "to spec" panel board is being delivered......sort of.

I ordered it through my local wholesaler on Monday - they called yesterday, to say it was coming today....................

When they `phoned this morning, it was to say the paperwork & MCCBs had arrived, but the panel wasn`t coming until next week.

I`m not concerned - I was expecting 2 weeks or so - but it seemed a bit odd that everything else was sent out first - I can`t do much without the panel ;)

Hoping to have reviews up - though it might be a few days - its in a commercial premises ( licensed), so the DB change has to be scheduled / carried out between 1.00 a.m and 6.30 a.m. :( :( :(

Martyn  ,  based on our main switch experience , I would go through the MCBs & main switch just to make sure the terminals are OK .  As in my post ,  couldn't back the box terminals off to fit .

The rest of the board was fine , much the same as all the others of that ilk.

Thanks bud - I understand they`ve already arrived at the wholesalers, so I`ll go in and have a check of those....... ;)

Woe betide them if there`s a problem - the rep. lives half a mile away, and I have his address ]:)

( Horses` head, anyone??) :slap

Deke,

I realise that it is totally compliant, but, I would not be happy leaving such a big hole through the bush in the side of the board, just me though!

fitted 12 way DB last week 2X RCBO scews didnt screw up on bus bar n then on the N out i was fumming