Flourescent lighting diffusers advise

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LambrettaGP200

Reaction score
Evening everyone

Just want a bit of advice with Flourescent lighting diffusers. Im rewiring a shop and the landlord has told me to use the excisting Flourescent lights, which look quite new, but the person who is going to rent the shop of them has thrown a wobbler at me and the landlord, saying that because they haven`t got diffusers on them, the health and safety inspectors will fail it and my names on the test sheet etc.

The landlord has told me to replace the whole lot, but is it true, can I get in trouble, or is she just pulling a fast one

Thanks in advance

Scooterboy

AFAIK

It only becomes an issue where VDUs are in use; then the lighting regs get specific about cat 2 louvres. Health and safety, to the best of my knowledge, have never tried to shoot anyone because there are no diffusers on fluoros.

I think she`s having a giraffe, mate!

Thats a new one on me Scooter . Unless its a food shop where , I believe, you should use shatterproof tubes.

Wait and see what others say about the diffusers, I did'nt know they were a nesessity.

Deke

Thanks for the replies guys, forgot to say its going to be a beauty parlour, nails, waxing, tanning, that sort of crap, no special locations

cheers

Scooterboy

There is the Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 which states that,

"The Regulations require employers to minimize the risks in VDU work by ensuring that workplaces and jobs are well designed".

Florescent lamps can cause problems with older VDU's and rotating machinery and the employer would be liable even in the future if the employee could demonstrate that they were exposed to unsafe lighting whilst using a VDU for prolonged periods.

Thanks for the replies guys, forgot to say its going to be a beauty parlour, nails, waxing, tanning, that sort of crap, no special locations cheers

Scooterboy
What if he wanted to get his nails done?

:^O

its her H&S issue, not yours, its not an electrical problem, if her insurers want diffusers or anything else then thats her problem.

bit like her telling you that the socket at the counter is too far away from the hairdryer, tough luck, its safe, move yer dryer love.

its her H&S issue, not yours, its not an electrical problem, if her insurers want diffusers or anything else then thats her problem.bit like her telling you that the socket at the counter is too far away from the hairdryer, tough luck, its safe, move yer dryer love.
im happy now :D :D

after my bad day !!!!!

its her H&S issue, not yours, its not an electrical problem, if her insurers want diffusers or anything else then thats her problem.bit like her telling you that the socket at the counter is too far away from the hairdryer, tough luck, its safe, move yer dryer love.
I could not have put it better myself Pray

Just to let you know, the lights are all up with the diffusers on and shes still moaning,

It has been the worst week I have had for years, Monday morning first fixed a shower in another rented property for this landlord, the house was filthy, walked through the kitchen and stepped in some dog poo, great

Walked it through the house and you couldn`t tell, the cleanest part of the house were where I had pulled the back to get the boards up.

Dirty b******s

Women owning shops are a right pain in the buttress. I was called to a shop in Brum city centre which is a right pain for access anyway, parked 300 miles away and walked to this shop. Assistant gives me the phone to talk to the owner who tells me to drive to their warehouse ( other side of city) there are some lights fitts there , check them out , bring the ones that work back to the shop then await her arrival to find where to put them (Yes I Know) Bloody stuck up cow , .

I just bu****d off after wasting half a day. Live and learn.

Ah right, yes , erm.. sorry Amin 2 but most of them I come across are a pain in that particular place.

Went to an exclusive fur shop years ago, the assistant refered to the owner as "Modom" The problem turned out to be this huge old fashioned Hoover, had a look, its the motor brushes, worn away, " Modom" did her nut when she found we did'nt carry them as spares on the van. Another fairly unreasonable lady (modified reference)

Deke