Fp400?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essex1

No Longer Here
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if this is an acceptable cable to use in place of MICC. I have never heard of it. The use would be for UPS emergency lighting system. On the face of it I would say yes but thought I would put it out there.

whats wrong with the usual 'ive never heard of it, so it must be wrong'?

doesnt offer the same protection as pyro, but in many cases complies with requirements and is a suitable alternative

whats wrong with the usual 'ive never heard of it, so it must be wrong'?

doesnt offer the same protection as pyro, but in many cases complies with requirements and is a suitable alternative
Ignoring you sarcasm - Why does it not offer the same protection as Pyro?

What does it say in BS 5266... Or whatever it is called this week

When a UPS system is used it needs to have mechanical protection.  Now I am sure it complies but you do not see much of it so I wondered if there was some issue with it.

Ignoring you sarcasm - Why does it not offer the same protection as Pyro?

When a UPS system is used it needs to have mechanical protection.  Now I am sure it complies but you do not see much of it so I wondered if there was some issue with it.
pyro will last a lot longer in fire and can withstand higher temperatures. not sure of the exact details, been a while since ive done anything with pyro / FP. it can also have a much higher operating temperature

also the sheath if the pyro can offer protection, similar to that of SWA. FP is foil wrapped, however its not guaranteed to be enoguh to take a fault current to open OCPD in penetrated like pyro

also the sheath if the pyro can offer protection, similar to that of SWA. FP is foil wrapped, however its not guaranteed to be enoguh to take a fault current to open OCPD in penetrated like pyro
FP400 is SWA is it not?

Just looked at the datasheet linked above, that confirmed my suspicions. I've never used any of the stuff, just spent far too many hours studying cable suppliers catalogues!

I had never heard of it before today. Priced a UPS job and quoted for MICC. Client said they will have issues maintaining it with the skills working with that type of cable being lost. Can I reprice using FP400.

Client said they will have issues maintaining it with the skills working with that type of cable being lost.
But if no-one installs it then there is no wonder no-one knows how to install it. Self fulfilling prophecy.

I'd rather use MI than FP, even it is SWA.

Can I reprice using FP400.
From the linked datasheet;

Witnessed project tests have demonstrated the ability of FP400 ® to achieve fire resistant properties in excess of those required by BS6387 Category CWZ and on the basis of these tests Prysmian FP400 ® has been approved for many projects where previously only mICC had been approved.

Additional tests have demonstrated the ability of FP400 ® to achieve a 60 minute rating (PH60) to BS EN50200 and a 30 minute rating to BS8434-1. These tests demonstrate that FP400 ® also meets the requirements for use in "standard" installations in accordance with BS5839-1:2002 for fire detection and alarm systems, and "Cables with inherently high resistance to attack by fire" in accordance with BS5266-1:2008 for emergency lighting.

You Are probably right. I come from a generation that do not really use it. I have done about 6 ends off in my life. Some of the team have never touched it. Now I have seen FP400I really see no need for MICC.

But if no-one installs it then there is no wonder no-one knows how to install it. Self fulfilling prophecy.

I'd rather use MI than FP, even it is SWA.

From the linked datasheet;
That is the part I read. Complies.

You Are probably right. I come from a generation that do not really use it. I have done about 6 ends off in my life. Some of the team have never touched it. Now I have seen FP400I really see no need for MICC.

That is the part I read. Complies.
because it is the best cable EVER made,

done hundreds and hundreds of metres of it about 12 years ago,

lovely to work with in the right conditions, great job satisfaction when its done as well,  :)

Oh realy.

Right lads. Can we strip out everything please. Back to the shell. BUT LEAVE THE PYRO. We can re-use that.

would you rewire a staircase wired in MICC if there was a fire, in FP?

or would you just renew the light fittings if that's all was damaged in  the fire

P.S. MICC is King