Fusebox off but still got an electric shock

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ProDave it was just an ordinary screwdriver. As far as i can remember, the hand that got a shock was firmly gripped to the faceplate whilst my other hand was screwing the black wire in.

I have used a Voltage Detector Pen from Screwfix (https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ms8907-voltage-detector-pen/3222g) which I'm not sure whether it's giving me accurate results. When I turn off the Red Switch from the fusebox, it sometimes beeps once when I go near those wires from the plug socket but when I go near a live wire that I know is working it beeps constantly. Could it be that it is too sensitive?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Voltage detector pens have their place...usually left in the toolbox!

but seriously, they are 'handy' in the right hands, a bit like a neon screwdriver.  They are ok to tell you if something is possibly live BUT an electrician would NEVER trust one to indicate a circuit is DEAD. The only way to do that safely is with an approved tester

having said all that I have just cleared out a drawer in the workshop and found two voltage detector pens. New batteries fitted and working. So they will stay on the bench as a 'just in case'

Are you up to taking the cover off your consumer unit WITH ALL SWITCHES OFF. Don't touch anything but take a photograph of the wiring inside in particular that right hand 32A MCB.

OP - plug a light into the socket, switch it on and then switch the circuit breakers off 1 by 1 to see which turns the light off .......

That is safer than fiddling around inside the cover of a live fuseboard