garage feed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Doing a rewire on a 1950's house with conduits in the walls. I've got to feed the garage which is

3 meters from the house, I was going to dig up the garden and a path and put an swa in, just

noticed there's a conduit from house to garage, could I use this to run a T+E in? The garage only

Needs a socket and light.

Next question, supply is tncs. Garage is brick built with pitched roof. No other services or metal work

Would you TT it?

Can you run swa though the conduit? I would be hesitant to run t&e as you can not be sure the conduit will provide enough mechanical protection to it.

IMHO I think it should be TT'd.

All depends on the condition of the conduit, could well be corroded and rotten underground so offering no protection. If it could be confirmed that it is mechanically sound then you could use it. I'd be inclined to run a new SWA in.

I'd also not TT it for a socket and light in the scenario you propose.

I'd have thought that you would have made the garage supply a T T arrangement as it is away from the equipotential zone of the house . Will there be a garage consumers unit fitted and what about R C D protection from the house . The garage consumers unit should have an R C D fitted anyway. As you say the earthing arrangement to the house is T N C S . This has been mentioned before on the forum . Swa is a sound choice to use and buried in a trench surrounded with a soft sand and marked with a warning tape . Some electricians would even go for concentric cable , I have never used it though . ;)

I'd have thought that you would have made the garage supply a T T arrangement as it is away from the equipotential zone of the house . Will there be a garage consumers unit fitted and what about R C D protection from the house . The garage consumers unit should have an R C D fitted anyway. As you say the earthing arrangement to the house is T N C S . This has been mentioned before on the forum . Swa is a sound choice to use and buried in a trench surrounded with a soft sand and marked with a warning tape . Some electricians would even go for concentric cable , I have never used it though . ;)
I don't like that eccentric cable I would use swa.

missed the buried part though - though he was talking about above ground in conduit.

split con isnt the most idea for buriel, and i would normally use SWA for that.

I was after getting a supply to my garage. I found a disused gas pipe going through my stone gable end wall which is 3' thick. I stuck a 6mm braided sheath cable through it and it popped out right next to the CU under the stairs! Perfick!

I was after getting a supply to my garage. I found a disused gas pipe going through my stone gable end wall which is 3' thick. I stuck a 6mm braided sheath cable through it and it popped out right next to the CU under the stairs! Perfick!
Sounds like you've exported the earth.

The garage is actually a lean to arrangement built onto the side of the house. The total cable run was about 7M so IMO the area served by the garage supply (16A socket radial/6A lighting circuit) is still within the equipotential zone of the house. Fed from 16th ed board 20A MCB on the RCD section. I used a 3 core and earthed the sheath too.

That OK?

The garage is actually a lean to arrangement built onto the side of the house. The total cable run was about 7M so IMO the area served by the garage supply (16A socket radial/6A lighting circuit) is still within the equipotential zone of the house. Fed from 16th ed board 20A MCB on the RCD section. I used a 3 core and earthed the sheath too.That OK?
you didnt say what the earthing type was. but either way, sounds OK

Doing a rewire on a 1950's house with conduits in the walls. I've got to feed the garage which is3 meters from the house, I was going to dig up the garden and a path and put an swa in, just

noticed there's a conduit from house to garage, could I use this to run a T+E in? The garage only

Needs a socket and light.

Next question, supply is tncs. Garage is brick built with pitched roof. No other services or metal work

Would you TT it?
3m from house?

No extraneous metal parts in the garage?

No need to TT it at all...

No more hazardous than an integral garage with socket in it and a concrete floor...

the general potential of the mass of earth around the house foundations is going to be within a negligible amount of the bit of earth supporting the garage structure!

3m from house?No extraneous metal parts in the garage?

No need to TT it at all...

No more hazardous than an integral garage with socket in it and a concrete floor...

the general potential of the mass of earth around the house foundations is going to be within a negligible amount of the bit of earth supporting the garage structure!
Applaud Smiley

Latest posts