Garage & outside lighting!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy

Reaction score
Hi need some advice please.

Job is to feed 3 sofit spotlights and 2 security lights form garage, as this is best route.

Current set up is 2.5mm t&e to 13amp fcu, form this is what looks like a 2.5mm 3 core swa (possible 1.5mm) to an adaptable box in the garage (high level on wall), this then feeds a 1.5 t&e for a light. Also feeds a 1mm swa to a galv conduit t box, which feeds switch on wall and a fluorescent tube. Hope this is clear.

Thinking of changing this set up as need to take a feed out to feed 3 sofit downlights and 2 security lights. Not sure on where i am going to put the switch for the sofit lights yet!!!

The swa in the garage is old colours and not very neat.

Thinking of leaving circuit alone upto adaptable box in garage.

Replace adaptable box with bigger one, leaving the 1.5mm t&e for a light alone, but ripping out the swa that feeds the switch and fl light, and changing this to conduit, run this to a 4 way conduit box. out of bottom to feed switch, back up through top to fl light. Then carry on out of box with conduit, down the garage to a t box. Take a feed from this into porch for a switch for the sofit lights and back into sofit for the lights. then take another feed of this to power the 2 security lights.

it is a bit of a messy job, do you think this is ok, and do u think plastic or galv conduit is best.

Thinking of running singles in the conduit, i no this is not the norm for domestic stuff, i have a commercial background only.

Other option i was thinking was to replace adaptable box and take new swa's from it to feed the lights seperately, i.e 1 swa for sofit lights, 1 swa for garage light, 1 swa for security lights.

Hope this makes sense

craig

I tend to always use singles in conduit regardless of whether it's domestic or commercial. Most domestic conduit installations are for some additional mechanical protection and someone doing housebashing only is likely to just use what is on the van to run in it. I have plenty of singles in stock so use it in conduit where possible.

I'd say galv tube was a bit OTT, PVC would be fine. I prefer it in garages where possible, by the sounds of it your plan is pretty good.

What is the fuse in the spur at the house?

Thanks Lurch.

Am not sure what the fuse is, haven't actually checked it, only had a quick look at the job the other day, should have investigated a bit more.

The cu is an old re-wireable 3036 one, only 4 ways on it and a seperate cu for a shower (the tails have been slpit).

The house is on 1 ring, cooker circuit, then think it is upstairs lights on 1 way, and downstairs on the last way.

Like i said it was a quick look the other night, should have investigated more really.

Only thing am worried about, is if the circuit can cope with the new lights. As am thinking that the fcu may be spured off one of the existing light circuits, won't now till i open it all up.

My garage circuit will have 2 x 100w lights, 2 x 150w and 3 x 50w = 650w = just shy of 3 amps, but then it will be rare that all lights are on at the same time.

Only 5 lights downstairs and about the same upstairs, so if the fcu is on one of those circuits, total load will be just under 1200w = 5.2amps.

Do u think this is ok on a 5A 3036?

My garage circuit will have 2 x 100w lights, 2 x 150w and 3 x 50w = 650w = just shy of 3 amps, but then it will be rare that all lights are on at the same time.Only 5 lights downstairs and about the same upstairs, so if the fcu is on one of those circuits, total load will be just under 1200w = 5.2amps.

Do u think this is ok on a 5A 3036?
TBH I'd say it was more likely to be off the ring, being in 2.5 and all, but you never know.

As for the 5.2A on a 3036, it'll run forever with 6-7A+ running through it, but add in some diversity and you're well clear anyway.

I'd also probably swap the fused spur for an RCD one.