gas

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyrj

Reaction score
yesterday got a phone call from my brother in law asking what is an rcd. It turns out he has a service contract with British gas for his tumble Drier and microwave. The engineer came to service the drier and told him that he needed to see his consumer unit, as they had to check to see if the circuit was on an rcd at all customers premisies , otherwise they may no longer be able to cover the appliance.He hasnt got an rcd so the gas man told him to get an electrician to fit one or he may not be covered.I told him that an rcd is for personal protection and does not affect the workings of the appliances and he is going to get back to them.What a nerve . It seems they are told to check this at every job by British gas, and to tell the customer they must have a trip fitted.

It does yes, but i suppose they didnt say they could do the work, only that he should get an electrician to do it. maybee they would have offered if he had asked them.

yesterday got a phone call from my brother in law asking what is an rcd. It turns out he has a service contract with British gas for his tumble Drier and microwave. The engineer came to service the drier and told him that he needed to see his consumer unit, as they had to check to see if the circuit was on an rcd at all customers premisies , otherwise they may no longer be able to cover the appliance.He hasnt got an rcd so the gas man told him to get an electrician to fit one or he may not be covered.I told him that an rcd is for personal protection and does not affect the workings of the appliances and he is going to get back to them.What a nerve . It seems they are told to check this at every job by British gas, and to tell the customer they must have a trip fitted.
As Godfather say's money making exercise.

Get your brother in law or better still you could ring on his behalf contact them by phone and ask where it say's that one has to be fitted and what it has to do with the working of he machine love to hear what their reply is?

We had this problem with british gas a few weeks back, they`d been to do a boiler service and while there they had a look at the consumer unit and issued a piece of paper saying that there was no RCD protection to every circuit and she needed it sorting. Old dear rings us up convinced she`s going to die if she switches the kettle on.

Anyway raised matter with ECA who cover BG`s electrical side, got e-mail back this week from british gas saying they were sorry and they werent using it as a selling tool

We had this problem with british gas a few weeks back, they`d been to do a boiler service and while there they had a look at the consumer unit and issued a piece of paper saying that there was no RCD protection to every circuit and she needed it sorting. Old dear rings us up convinced she`s going to die if she switches the kettle on.Anyway raised matter with ECA who cover BG`s electrical side, got e-mail back this week from british gas saying they were sorry and they werent using it as a selling tool
Spoke to a mate of mine a few weeks ago - he is a BG service engineer (gas). Apparently ALL BG service engineers have been told to look at all customers CU's and then to tell the customer that their electrics are not up to required standards!!!!!

BG are hoping to pick up lots of rewire work - If I was do something like that I would proberbly end up in court!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a little bit naughty - wonder what OFGAS would have to say about it?.................. Or Watchdog, maybe?

As Dino says, we`d end up in the brown, sticky stuff if we tried that

dont get me going on that one.

high prices, cheep parts, shoddy labour - need i say more!

Look at it from BG's point of view. Rcds are available and as said are for personal protection. BG as employers are just trying to give a bit more protection for their employees. It has nothing to do with the regs. If BG wanted to they could also state you had to put a red carpet down by the appliance and serve tea from a bone china cup and saucer. Any stipulation should have been made before you signed though.

So the service contract is for some plug in appliances? Since when did a plug in appliance become part of the fixed wiring of an installation?

And assuming it is considered part of fixed installation.. wouldn't 134.1.1, {good workmanship / Proper materials / Manufactures instructions to be followed etc..} be applicable, so do the tumble-dryers instruction book say it should be plugged into an RCD protected socket?

If they Insist it should be RCD protected...

then When the gas man cometh....

plug one of these in...

Look at it from BG's point of view. Rcds are available and as said are for personal protection. BG as employers are just trying to give a bit more protection for their employees. It has nothing to do with the regs. If BG wanted to they could also state you had to put a red carpet down by the appliance and serve tea from a bone china cup and saucer. Any stipulation should have been made before you signed though.
So how much work do you pick up from BG?

They will scare the sh8T OUT OF LITTLE OLD LADIES AND TAKE THEIR MONEY WITH OUT ANY PANG OF CONSCIENCE!!!!

Agreed Dino. I really feel this is bad practice on behalf of BG. As SL says, it isn`t part of the fixed wiring, and it should be disconnected for servicing anyway.

If their engineers are so good, they can test the item for leakage with their dedicated PAT!

I wonder if this is an actual Gas policy..

Or if thier engineers are on some sales lead commission scheme for all the new work they can get? ?:|

I am betting there is NO formal letter stating this RCD option?

BUT... if there was I would like to see it and get it passed, as KME said, to OFGAS, (or whatever they are called now if their name has changed!) and Watchdog!! :(

Ill tell you what it is, it is a clause in the contract. "If the electrical installation is not maintained, then it will not be covered". This is a get out clause. If someone puts a claim in and BG come and find you have not maintained your installation up to the latest standards, then they dont have to pay out. Simple

Ill tell you what it is, it is a clause in the contract. "If the electrical installation is not maintained, then it will not be covered". This is a get out clause. If someone puts a claim in and BG come and find you have not maintained your installation up to the latest standards, then they dont have to pay out. Simple
So they have lots of get outs with all your tape joints m8! :p ; ) :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:x

oops wrong thread! :(

You could have a perfectly maintained installation without any RCD's!

Just because it doesn't conform to current regs doesn't = not maintained!

BG do worry me

There's a joke:

What's blue and screws old ladies,

Hypothermia! :)

I suggest 'hypothermia' is replaced by 'a British gas man':|

You could have a perfectly maintained installation without any RCD's!Just because it doesn't conform to current regs doesn't = not maintained!

BG do worry me

There's a joke:

What's blue and screws old ladies,

Hypothermia! :)

I suggest 'hypothermia' is replaced by 'a British gas man':|
ohhh! Mr Apache! I thought you were far more polite than that. :eek: :O:O

Perhaps we could enter an appropriately positioned Allegedly!

I am sure there are some very nice British gas men.............

somewhere! ?:|

Is ****ging off "british gas men" related to MRS. KME`s website`s views on****ging off "russian holidaymakers topless" - ;)
I find myself putting all possible sware words in and it's amazing how the context changes :^O

does the one you are thinking off begin with an 'S'?