Generator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Brennan

Reaction score
Had a call today asking if i can connect a generator up.

Only info i have at the moment is that they are in dispute with there electricity supplier and they have cut them off and they have hired a a generator large enough to power there snooker hall to keep business up and running until they sort there dispute out.

Never connected one before as the main and only supply any info?

Is it straight forward to do or a nightmare?

I have no idea what CU they have or anything until i go tomorrow.

I would pull out the tails and conect it straight into the cu as I am asuming the main fuse has been removed. I would also ad an earth conection to the frame of the generator.

I would pull out the tails and conect it straight into the cu as I am asuming the main fuse has been removed. I would also ad an earth conection to the frame of the generator.
Thats what i planned to do but worried whether or not im overlooking anything?

yes, would agree, gotta make it a TT install, as you no longer have a DNO supply then you no longer have a right to utilise their earth either'
no, its not a TT install. the genny would be TNS. the rod is simply there as a return path for any current flowing to earth

if you was at the generator site steptoe mr B could insert his rod in the hole your in and get a great reading :p :^O;)

Mr Brennan , what the others said plus, whatever you do , you mustn't allow the genny set -up to back feed into the DNO system ,as I have seen with much smaller ones . Could put their engineers in danger.

You need to remove any connection with the network or fit a changeover switch.

I guess they are hiring a generator so I suggest you are guided by the hire company ,I found them very knowlegable a couple of times. May hire suitable mains leads etc.

And will give a fuel consumption estimate and can arrange delivery and refilling.

Deke

Good point Noz, the last time we looked at this option the costs were massive.

Hire costs.

Delivery.

Security of genny outside the building.

Fuel consumption.

Fuel delivery

Hire of hook up leads.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to pay the bill and then claim back???
it must be a big enough dispute to have gotten to the situation in the first place

you really are hard work steptoe. in posts like that, i seriously doubt you have any idea what your talking about. the generator needs a rod, but the rod does not make the installation TT.

i compared it to DNO for the simple reason of a DNO TNS supply has star point to a rod, and L, N & E to installation. now swap this DNO transformer for your genny, and its the same setup, star point is rodded, L, N & E go to installation as TNS. saying to connected a welder and see what happens.... im guessing you have no idea what your talking about, and trying to divert attention away

It just happens to be that the hotel in watford that i am staying at has had no power for nearly 2 weeks now EDF have supplied them a genny and they have rodded the genny.

Connected into onsite sub station with 5 x 240mm singles;)

the reason it needs a rod is in case of a potential from the metal casing of the genny to terra firma :coffee

just as we protect for exported earths

Latest posts