Getting started - Qualification(s) for domestic sparks

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FIAT LUX

Reaction score
Hi,

I was recently asked by someone who is moving back to the UK from France -and thinking about a mid-life career change - what are the current, essential 'must have' qualifications to set up as a sole-trading domestic installer in England?

(I've been in France for years, so I couldn't give a firm answer as I'm a bit out of the loop re. training & accreditation in the UK - so I hope you might be able to help me pass on some up-to-date info. Thanks !)

Hi Fiat hows the Fish?

Did we get a reply on that one from you?

To become a Domestic installer you have to apply to and be assessed by one of the scheme providers (NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA,BSI)

Most require Level 3 qualification in Electrotech installation

This can be C&G 2330, 2382, and they expect you to gain 2391

There are some fast track schemes which will give you a DI qualification

If you have 2382 and 2391 and experiance in the trade then this seems ok.

I am sure someone will be along in a min. with more info especially if I am not quite right on the details.

Hi Sparkytim - Many thanks for your reply to this post, and likewise to my earlier post re. the fish pools (the koi are fine, but I'm worried about an impromptu fry-up if someone standing outside the tank tries to fish them out! But seriously, I'm with you on the 'good overhaul of the set up' but my mate/the owner is bizarrely not too bothered (!!!) - what can we do to protect people from themselves?

You asked "Are there any regulations relating to Domestic installations in France?", which is the usual response whenever you look around any old French farmhouse, if you're looking for new-fangled things like RCDs and earth bonding!!! But there are rules for what should be there... and the delightfully titled 'NF C 15-100' is the Bible: the set-up may different, but the principles and problems are universal.

Cheers!

Thanks Fiat

Do they still have the set up where you pay for a limited supply, i.e. max incoming Fuse size?

Seem to remember a site all on a 16 A Supply fuse, had to be carefull not to turn to much on at a time!

Yep, EDF will let you subscribe to a 3,6,9,12,15 or 18kw supply, which is dictated by the mm2 of the supply cable, with variously rated incoming fuses fitted accordingly (e.g 45A on monophase 9kw supply). But how anyone can live a 21st century life on anything less than 9kw beats me....