Gs38 Like Tester At Aldi

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How on earth did you find this? were you searching for voltage testers or did you stumble across it while doing the family shopping? serious question as we pay a lot of money to be noticed!

I will purchase some of these from china if you guys think this is the way we should head or shall i just carry on selling this quality, approved, known product from a leading manufacturer in the field of test equipment.

I'll stick with my Fluke T 150 and t5-600, thank you!

why?

because my family are worth it!

just saying
Scoobed, because you're worth it!

Mark,

Stick with what you do mate!

I for one would have to be desperate to use something like that, & I would like to know a LOT more about it before I trusted my life to it.

I am a long term Fluke user, because it was what I was brought up on really, though it was always Meggers for IR testing.

Recently bought a Megger from MM, usual service, and impressed so far. (http://isswww.co.uk/)

However, I digress, the reason I use quality kit is we sometimes have momentary lapses in concentration.

Friday I had a breakdown dropped on my by a customer for an end user, so I went there, & took some kit back to my customer for repair.

"While you're here", can you just wire up the extract fan on the spray booth for us?

OK, says I while you are fixing the bits, I'll wire up the booth.

Anyway, working workshop, kept getting dragged off to look at other things.

Rushing to finish as I had another breakdown to do on the way home, & was nearly an hour away at this time.

So, did the R1+R2 results, etc. then had a brain f4*t, and ended up trying to do the Zs with the meter on Rlow, just not concentrating, and rushing.

So what happens to the Fluke MFT?...

It beeps at me to tell me I am trying to measure continuity on a live circuit!

No damage, all fine, me included, after I called myself a t*4t.

That's one reason I use good brand test equipment, because if you have a lapse in concentration, it will let you survive.

IMHO, that is what is called "foreseeable misuse" under the EU equipment directives & the standards, so the equipment, should survive, however, I would not be so sure with a real cheap meter shall we say.

Buy known brand kit from a reputable supplier guys, you know it makes sense, your life & the lives of your family, or customers could well rely on this, and in doing this, you'll have done your best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sidewinder i was going to hit the quote button then!! however i have to agree, remember the days before MFT's or Single function testers gave you a beeb and protected the meter?

How on earth did you find this? were you searching for voltage testers or did you stumble across it while doing the family shopping? serious question as we pay a lot of money to be noticed!

I will purchase some of these from china if you guys think this is the way we should head or shall i just carry on selling this quality, approved, known product from a leading manufacturer in the field of test equipment.

Scoobed, because you're worth it!
My stuff is Fluke and Megger (and an old Robin analogue meter too). Even my volt stick is Fluke.

The Aldi thing? It was simply on an email. I won't be getting one hence my quip about fused leads & GS38 "like". Can't really knock it from being from China though can you as in "see other forum sponsors".

My thought process, for what its worth.....

i am a tool *****, in fact it is a bit of ocd to be honest.

i have collected tools and test stuff since i was about six. Now hitting 57 that is quite a bit of stuff!

Ranges from terminal drivers through to 1000v VDE sockets sets torque wrenches and spanners

crimping tools from. 1mm to 400mm

everything i have has at least one backup set , maybe 2 or even 3.

my point is this....even my backup stuff is of the same quality as the everyday stuff ( almost certainly in better condition), because if i have to rely on it in an emergency then my concentration may be a bit lacking a bit and I would not rely on inferior carp in a potentially dodgy situation....i can work on some quite nasty stuff

just advising

My stuff is Fluke and Megger (and an old Robin analogue meter too). Even my volt stick is Fluke.

The Aldi thing? It was simply on an email. I won't be getting one hence my quip about fused leads & GS38 "like". Can't really knock it from being from China though can you as in "see other forum sponsors".
Ah the power of emails, Thank you for the feed back

This reminds me of a tale some years ago when a guy was using a cheap imported tester, turned out to be nothing more elaborate than two wires and a light. It acted as a fuse which promptly went bang and melted the plastic body.

I prefer to pay my money and get what you pay for, I even shy away from the cheaper testers simply because I have a mistrust in their ability. Though I know a lot of people use them these days.

The voltage tester was in this weeks aldi magazine. Think it was only £6!

I dont think any of the guys on here would buy that its more for diy bob and his handymen!

Therefore i dont think megger mark has anything to worry about as he knows his market!

I've never been brand loyal when buying test equipment, I own and regularly use testers by Kyoritsu, Robin, Lutron, KEWTech, Chauvin Arnoux etc but I also have kit by SEW who are in Taiwan and also some mainland Chinese items. I'd say you've just got to take them on a case by case basis. Some of the manufacturers supply good kit at very reasonable prices but I'd suggest you read reviews on the instrumentation forums where someone has dismantled it down to component level. You can also pick up instructions on how to calibrate most testers as well.

Voltage range upto 400v. What happens when you try 415v will the operator still be here to tell the story. I wouldnt risk it lol :)

I've never been brand loyal when buying test equipment, I own and regularly use testers by Kyoritsu, Robin, Lutron, KEWTech, Chauvin Arnoux etc but I also have kit by SEW who are in Taiwan and also some mainland Chinese items. I'd say you've just got to take them on a case by case basis. Some of the manufacturers supply good kit at very reasonable prices but I'd suggest you read reviews on the instrumentation forums where someone has dismantled it down to component level. You can also pick up instructions on how to calibrate most testers as well.
Marvo,

Whilst being a "Flukey", I also have Megger, AVO, Chauvin, KewTech, Robin (now fluke), LEM HEME (now Fluke), TSI, & Agilent, along with ISOTech (RS) & I am looking at more Chauvin, or Metrel kit, as the specs look impressive.

PM of the instrument location please?... ;)

Voltage range upto 400v. What happens when you try 415v will the operator still be here to tell the story. I wouldnt risk it lol :)
Well it has got a 3 year warranty, ALDI warranties are quite good.

so if it blows up in your face your relatives will probably get the 6 quid back if within 3 years. Cant say fairer than that, can you?