Gutter lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geffers

Reaction score
Hi guys merry Xmas & all that stuff.

Has anybody installed downlighting from under gutters/ eaves?

If so what did you use in the way of equipment/ cableling etc.

Any input will be appreciated.

Under gutters??

I have installed down lights in the soffits before.

But we can't tell you what to use because we have not seen the job... How much protection against water will the lights have? How will it be switched ? Will they be led? Are they for lighting an area or for decritive effects?

All joints must be accessible....

Again need more info mate

My neighbour just has standard GU10 Bathroom downlighters in his soffits.

That should be enough protection as they are never going to get rained on are they?

And standard twin & earth cabling inside the soffits. Again why would you want anything more?

Check to see if the boards are asbestos as they will most prob be firerated boards for the eaves i'd imagine.

I think led or low energy lamps should be used.

The op hasn't stated what lights he will be installing.

Can u please explain why f fated fitting should be used?

See post 6 ...if asbestos... forget it .

If not then post 3 .

Instead of lying in the lagging in the loft and breathing in all that carp, get accomplice to poke mini-rods through fitting holes while you attach cables but in a position where you are not lying face down in the insulation , with arms outstretched, trying to poke cables into soffit .

Soffits will probably be made of Asbestos, Asdbestolux, ply or plastic this will probably be the deciding factor to what you use or do.

And when someone says to you , "Its OK its only Asbestolux" They are really saying " I want you to risk your health by drilling and breathing in the dust from this material please"

The rest is up to you .

I do loads of soffit lighting .... must be a Liverpool thing, the way I do them as i'm on my own is, pre wire the lights on the floor with 7 m of cable each, up ladders mark, drill holes, then use rods to tape lights to, poke a rod through each one, then into the loft to pull all the lights in one go, Jb then change one of the bedroom sw to a 2 gang, pull sw to jb the take N to jb off lighting circuit... I loose a little cable but its better than trying to loop in loop and and connect at height when working alone.

I use Kosnic LED'S and ip rated spots

HTH

I loose a little cable but its better than trying to loop in loop and and connect at height when working alone.
Interesting point.

I've only ever done soffit lights on a bungalow, where the light from them illuminates the path around the bungalow and it seems to make sense.

I can't really see the point of it on a 2 storey house? Do they just want to illuminate the wall? I can't think much useful light reaches the ground.

I find usually you can loop from one light to the next along the soffit just using a fish tape, but it does depend a lot on the exact construction if that's possible or not.

Here is one iv just done, I think they just like the look, not for me but I'll not talk myself out of work

Add Content

Yep, as I thought

The upper floor ones do nothing but illuminate the walls. All rather pointless if you ask me.

The lower ones do provide useful illumination of a path so are much more worthwhile.

But it it's what the customer wants then that's okay, it's just not something I would bother with myself.

Exactly Dave, if it's what the customer wants... Got more to fit tmrw if this wind dies down..... Iv not got them on mine but when asked about them, I think they look great ..... :p

Latest posts