Handy little tool

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
Bought one of these a few months back, more on a whim than anything else and to be honest have found it surprisingly useful, not only does it prove continuity but using the remote it also proves polarity, something that came in really handy on a recent job where someone had decided to wire a load of lights in their own unique manner resulting in black being used as live! Ok I could have done it with a meter but this tool meant that while proving continuity I was also able to prove which wire was connected to what, without having to mess about changing connections and linking different cables to each other.

Lets say you have 2 cables the same colour, as in say a pyro or a twin brown switch wire, well to find a given core you normally connect one to the earth at one end and test for continuity between core and earth at the other, with this tool you don't have to. connect the unit to the pair at one end, the remote at the other and the light changes colour to indicate the polarity and thereby which core is which. I'm probably not doing it justice with my description but honestly for less than 15 quid it's brilliant, try one, you won't regret it.

http://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/ten01049/continuity-tester/dp/IN05723