Have others seen this on new kitchens ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I omitted to take photo as I wanted to go home but ,,,interesting .  

Last job on a new kitchen was connect the induction hob  ,  I'd wired in 6mm  with a tail in the hob space  .     The hob was 7.2 KW   supplied with  a separate  flex  1mtr  x  5c  x  1.5mm   .

Two cores in parallel  into small  multi-plug s for L & N  + 1core  G/Y   &  ferrules on the other.     Just doesn't look right  , yet 1.5 flex is rated at 16A   , doubled up ,say  32A   ....FL of hob  would be 30A   .     

High temperature flex so higher current rating?

The ones that make me laugh are the induction hobs that have a total power rating of just 3kW and come with a 13A plug on the end of the flex.

I wired my kitchen island with 10mm t&e in case we want an induction hob.  do you think that was overkill?

whatt REALLY irritates me is manufacturers that use security screws to access the terminal box.
Ah yes   you mean the ones you don't have a  mad screwdriver bit for  ?  

I had a hob once , couldn't open the cover ,  had to  saw a slot across the screw with the junior .  Then the terminations were something else again .     

Ah yes   you mean the ones you don't have a  mad screwdriver bit for  ?  

I had a hob once , couldn't open the cover ,  had to  saw a slot across the screw with the junior .  Then the terminations were something else again .     
jeez there’s no pleasing some, it is done to deter Diyers from playing with that which they don’t understand, tradespersons are expected to carry all necessary tools. :C  

What REALLY irritates me is that they put all tech information on the carton/packaging, including dims, weight, cut out size etc except the actual power consumption figures/Wattage. which is hidden inside in the middle of an enormous handbook. So Mr & Mrs Jones get their new kitchen delivered, it all gets stacked in the already full garage.

Me - "What style appliances did you order?" 

Them - "Dunno"

Cue taking everything out the garage again and unboxing the appliances so I can see what I need to run in

I had that with a hot tap recently... even went to the effort of looking it up on the internet... there was absolutely NO specification on the power requirement except for the fact that it came in 115 and 230v versions.... I eventually saw a diagram that showed that it connected by a plug

What REALLY irritates me is that they put all tech information on the carton/packaging, including dims, weight, cut out size etc except the actual power consumption figures/Wattage. which is hidden inside in the middle of an enormous handbook. So Mr & Mrs Jones get their new kitchen delivered, it all gets stacked in the already full garage.

Me - "What style appliances did you order?" 

Them - "Dunno"

Cue taking everything out the garage again and unboxing the appliances so I can see what I need to run in

I ask what appliances people are planning to buy so I have a heads up before I turn up to 1st fix ..............

I ask what appliances people are planning to buy so I have a heads up before I turn up to 1st fix ..............
I think @ProDave recalls a tale of his customer wanting a boiler wiring in the loft

turns out ( after he had run a 16A supply in) that it was a BFO electric boiler of a quadzillion kW

Last edited by a moderator:
Very recently I was talking to a customer about an oven change in an 18 month old house.

Said big oven is connected to the kitchen socket circuit.

I’ve told them to only look at ovens that come with a 13a plug fired in the factory as a new circuit Is  almost impossible to install

they aren’t very happy but I can’t believe the developer installed the original oven in the way they did, especially in a million pound plus house

I think @ProDave recalls a tale of his customer wanting a boiler wiring in the loft

turns out ( after he had run a 16A supply in) that it was a BFO electric boiler of a quadzillion kW
that reminds me of a first fix socket circuit I did in a refurb a couple of years ago. Having done the back boxes and cables I asked them where they would like the aerial point

they said what TV, so I pointed at the plans ... to which they said the box was a symbol for a wood burner! 

i moved the sockets the following day

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve told them to only look at ovens that come with a 13a plug fired in the factory as a new circuit Is  almost impossible to install

That's how I scored my body dryer. People had a new upstairs bathroom fitted, posh laminate flooring upstairs and a fully boarded etc loft. Then bought the dryer. They thought the 8kW body dryer could come off the lights! CU the other side of the house, they couldn't face the disruption. 

(Mind I still haven't wired it in here  😂). 

Not quite.  I had provisioned a 16A radial for the "boiler" but the boiler turned out to be a dual immersion heater off peak hot water tank.

It was too late to run an extra cable to the loft, so i got creative, split the new loft ring (it only fed 3 sockets) using one leg for the off peak heater element and the other leg now feeding a radial loft socket circuit.