Heating tripping electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meady

Reaction score
Got to pop out in a bit to a friends house because he is having some problems. All I have been told is everytime he turns the heating on from the programmer all power is tripping. Apparently he has hot water but no heating. I haven't done a massive amount of work on heating systems and I'm sure I haven't got all the info but is there anything that springs to mind what the fault could be? I'm thinking of a faulty programmer but if not what else could it be and best way of sussing the problem out?

Is it RCD tripping.....

Think of the bits with water & electrics close to each other..

Motorised valves...

Pumps...

Or hot bits with melted damaged insulation and bare metal parts touching live wires..

My gut feelings are the programmer and thermostats would be bottom of the list in the order of likely suspects....

Is it a combi boiler...

Could be internal bits in the boiler gone AWOL!

Are there any lose cables in an airing cupboard that could have been snagged , knocked pulled while placing items in/out and a connection is now floating lose?

:coffee

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

Programmers are normally double insulated plastic moulded jobies...

and they are basically only some time controlled relay contacts..

so TBH..

not much in there to cause tripping.

Room thermostats generally have very little inside them to cause problems..

Is it RCD tripping.....Think of the bits with water & electrics close to each other..

Motorised valves...

Pumps...

Or hot bits with melted damaged insulation and bare metal parts touching live wires..

My gut feelings are the programmer and thermostats would be bottom of the list in the order of likely suspects....

Is it a combi boiler...

Could be internal bits in the boiler gone AWOL!

Are there any lose cables in an airing cupboard that could have been snagged , knocked pulled while placing items in/out and a connection is now floating lose?

:coffee
I'm as much in the dark as you until I get there mate lol. He said all power tripping so it must be rcd and only happening when the heating side is activated and not the hot water. Good call about the pumps, valves etc. I'll look at the programmer and all connections then slowly work my way around the system. Could be a long night ahead me thinks :-/

If it has Motorised valves then start with them.

Look for signs of water leaking into motor from valve seals.

If all ok then look at pump, if its a gravity system then pump only works for heating so ties up with symptoms.

Motorised valves generally won`t trip an RCD when they fail; unless the cable has been damaged, or they leak.

90% of the time, the pump is U/S - straightforward to check / swap (if the pump valves aren`t seized. If they are, let a plumber do `em!

KME

Thanks for your response lads I'm off to look at it now. Thanks to the advice given I'll hopefully be able to sort it or locate the issue quicker which leaves me some catchup and beer time.

I have had a 3port valve fail on me before, so I wouldn't rule it out straight away.

Stop the debate, IT'S THE PUMP!. Programmer is ancient but working perfectly. I went straight to the pump as suggested, disconnected then tried the programmer again. No trip this time. He did say before he had a rcd cu installed he had to whack the pump with a lump of timber to get it going lol.

I tell you what, I'll buy you all a beer next time your in Essex lol. Thanks again fellas

Well there you go , fault diagnosed in Essex without leaving office in Brum. Cheques made out to Evans Electric............. ;)
Send your invoice to his customer " Consultancy Fees" ROTFWL