HELP PLEASE

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switch10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, wont bore you to much, however my van has been broken into this evening, all certificates, loads of tools etc been stolen, however as some of you know i have my NICEIC assessment next week. not what i need now, my on site guide and all other books have also gone, ..

i have lost the cetificates for my niceic assessment, however i have 2 spare books in the house for testing so i can simply complete the tests again, using my 2nd hand megger i have.

however these certificates are slightly different and i need some help as without my books im lost. will hopefully replace tomorrow or over the weekend , but being new to the electrics i use these books for reference a lot.

ok eic certificates, 1st page, straight forward. 2nd page straight forward.

3rd page.

circuit details.

these certificates have extra columns not seen before.

they are.

ring final circuits end to end.

r1 . (am i correct in saying this is the end to end test of the line conductor?

r2. (am i correct in saying this is the end to end of the cpc?

rn.(am i correct in saying this is the end to end of the nuetral conductor?

obviously continuity for above tests.

Also whast the correct test procedure for testinf R1+R2? is the correct answer after doing the above mentioned end to end tests then adding the r1 and r2 together?

all help greatly appreciated, would know these if i had my books for reference

you are correct with r1 r2 and rn, you measure low ohms on end to end of the ring, these results dont actually get written down, just ensure it is actually a ring

test procedure for r1+r2 put a link wire into the earth bar and other end into the top of the circuit mcb you are working on, then you go round that circuit measuring low ohms continuity between earth and line. This proves polarity and you have a earth everywere. Using the line wire is almost like the wander lead method

Good luck with assessment, i have myn next week as well and spending all weeking revising and testing, im sure youl be fine, ive found The part P doctors book best for recapping stupid stuff ive forgotten.

o and sorry to hear about your van, i dread that happening to me, fitted an alarm last weekend, wont prevent but hopefully help

Let us know how you get on and any other questions

Dan

cheers for the reply, ypu say the r1,r2 and rn dont get written down, theres boxes on my certificates for the results, shud i fill them in incase assessor picks me up? cheers for comments :)

no worries

not 100% sure but dont think so, my certificates only the r1+r2, r2 which i never really use and the "ring" tick box for if its a ring main. If i remember correctly at college we used certificates with the r1 r2 and rn boxes but i dont remember using them

if there is a box for ring end to end then write the results in,

testing r1, r2 by linking the cpc to phase is for radials.

for ring connect the cpc from one leg to the phase of the other and vise versa, then take your reading between the 2, leave connected and test at every socket, the results should be about the same 0.05 tolerance, spurs will have a higher reading, the highest reading is your r1 r2

cheers will write the results in rather than leave blank.

i have started testing the first assessment place again , however im stuck with no osg etc,

my insulation resistance test resuts are showing as

line to cpc >299

neutral to cpc 2.07

are these correct, really unsure on what the greater than 299 means with out no reference materials to hand.

the higher the number the better, 299 is the most your tester can measure and is what you would expect of new cable,

your N E however is very low. 1 M ohm is the absoulte min and less than 2 requires further investigation.

as your L E is >299 and your N E is 2.07 then there is a fault some were on that circuit,

as your L E is >299 and your N E is 2.07 then there is a fault some were on that circuit,
Or something still connected ....

e.g. something plugged in or switched off via a single pole switch..

leaving a neutral - earth path through equipment? :|

good point specs quite right

test L+N to earth see what that gives u.

or unplug everthing,

dont forget behind the extractor, washing machine , the 4 way addapter behind the heavy wardrobe and the areial booster in the loft:good luck:

With regards to the R1+R2 and the R2, you do one test and record one result only. You don't do both.

IE: if you do the R1+R2, then your record those results in the R1+R2 box and put a line through the R2 box.

cheers admin, I had gathered this, but allways good to get a second opinion. slowly getting my head back into the work, now, just got to get everything else of my mind to give me a clear head.

cheers will write the results in rather than leave blank.i have started testing the first assessment place again , however im stuck with no osg etc,

my insulation resistance test resuts are showing as

line to cpc >299

neutral to cpc 2.07

are these correct, really unsure on what the greater than 299 means with out no reference materials to hand.
sorry, but, you should know basics like min IR and what > 299 means without OSG or 7671. (and OSG or BRB wont tell you what >299 means either)

i do know what they mean, however we all have our days when our mind goes blank, and after the last few stressfull days of van being broken into etc, i can not get my head back into things. so asked a question and i dont elieve the question asked what i should and shouldnt know andy. thanks anyway

i do know what they mean, however we all have our days when our mind goes blank, and after the last few stressfull days of van being broken into etc, i can not get my head back into things. so asked a question and i dont elieve the question asked what i should and shouldnt know andy. thanks anyway
I think that the point Andy was trying to make is that you don't seem ready for any kind of assessment.

The questions you are asking are kids stuff that you really should know the answers to.

I'm sorry if his comment hurt your feelings but I happen to agree.

Here's a little 'assessment' question for you:

I know Specs suggested it, but how would you having something plugged in give you a low IR reading on your N - CPC test? :)

Having read your other thread, switch10, I wish to retract my comments. Apologies! :Blushing

When you go round customers house to quote for board change I have heard people say to do a neutral to earth ir test to ensure the new rcd will hold. Do you have to go round unplugging everything before you do this test? Thanks

Latest posts