Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgaw81

Reaction score
I was ask to put sockets and lights into a shed, which i thought was a nice wee job for a morning.

I assumed it was just a garden shed. So pop round to have a look, the shed turns out to be 60ft x 40ft!!!!!, he never mentioned the size. :eek:

Anyway he wants to keep cost to a minimum, same as everyone these days, my question is what is the most cost effective lighting? We did discuss flu's as the cheapest lights to install.

Also the metering arrangement that supplies the house is within in the 'shed', and is a TN-S supply with a Ze of 0.38ohms, however the voltage is only 213v. Is this ok? what are the tolerence, i think its 10%/6% but can't mind which way round is this right?

Thanks in advance

:)

So my 213v is too low will have to contact Scottsh Power.

Sorry forgot to say the height is approx 14ft, he never mentioned cost just that he wanted cheap as poss.

to get an average of 300 lux you will need

2x 70w 6x5

2x 58w 6x6

1x58w 9x8

1x70w 6x5

if you find out what he plans to do there, and how bright the place need to be, post it here

Storage area to start with then used for livestock in winter months, but he wasn't totally sure.

thanks Noz have thought of that part already, was going to use PVC conduit to keep the cost as low as possible for the client.

As for lighting... how about metal hailide fittings??
Never thought off them, just thought flu's as they are cheap, i'll search for hailide fittings and compare light output and cost

Thanks

The metal halide fittings are not as expensive as i thought, thanks again Noz

i'll need about six off them which would look not to bad and can go around the building and could do away with my need to hire scaffold.

Also the metering arrangement that supplies the house is within in the 'shed', and is a TN-S supply with a Ze of 0.38ohms, however the voltage is only 213v. Is this ok? what are the tolerence, i think its 10%/6% but can't mind which way round is this right?Thanks in advance

:)
You be needing to refer em to Appendix 2, pg 242.

230v +10% -6% which is 216.2v - 253.0v

Double check your meter, then give em a call! :eek:

That voltage at the intake seems very low. Have you worked out the volt drop at the shed and the higher current draw ?
Haven't done the calcs yet, getting a price together to see if its worth doing the job. As for the 300mA RCD, i'm not sure but thanks for highlighting it. Will have to look into that.

Woops, just re-read your post and note the intake is inside this shed. Not to much volt drop there then but it still seems low. I would be interested to measure the voltage in the house, when a heavy load is on.
I am worried you just like Heavy Loads there Slips!!

lift that wheelbarrow! :eek: ] :)