HIVE install removed old Honeywell Thermostat from wall and heating stopped working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay. But explain in simple terms, just what a Hive does that the old programmer and thermostat did not?  I have certainly not managed to understand from their advertising what it does, other than cost a stupid amount of money for a wireless thermostat.

It's for the modern man/woman, the ones that work all day and have no spare cash, they save like mad every odd penny they get, to purchase a heating control that can be operated via their contract phone just in case the bus/train/car breaks down on the way home which means the heating would have been on for an hour or two longer prior to them getting home thus wasting their hard earned on unnecessary electric and gas usage. 

It's simples!! 

Evening all

I have literally just had the same problem, and a few google searches soon bought this thread up.
Only difference is that my hive receiver is toast! <well the central heating (CH) portion of it>
Installation didnt take long and it was all working fine, "until" I turned the heating on, then the receiver went pop...whoops.

I didnt want to remove the wireing from the honeywell junction box as I would want to re fit the original honeywell set up when I move property in the future.

Instead I bridged the wires at the thermostat end using an electrical block (my thermostat is the same as scanets one). I was then going to place these inside a simple box that would replace the honeywell thermostat.
To confirm I had the correct wires for the thermostat to the receiver end,  I did a continuity test with the central heating ON pins at the old honeywell timer side so was happy I had the correct wire.

However, unfortunately I bridged the wrong wires together despite the checks I made :(

When attempting to re-bridge in the correct sequence, it was already too late. The hive receiver works "only" with the hot water segment and not the central heating segment.

One thing I forgot to mention above, is that I opened up the hive reciever and it is clear as day to see that the CH relay has blown as its got black pit marks on it, the other HW relay has not, + it smells very pongy too.

I've just refit the old honeywell timer and thermostat kit for now, but using scanets thermostat as an example, which wires at the thermostat end should I have bridged, to achieve the same result as if I were doing it at the junction box end ?

*B4 anyone asks, obviously the supply was off when I carried out this work. Not usually had a problem with the diy electrics before (radial sockets, light fittings etc). I guess this time unfortunately I made a mistake.

Any assistance would be most appriciated before I buy another hive receiver

Many thanks