Hole saws

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Am looking for a hole saw kit, got a few jobs coming up involving spotlights / downlights.

Just wondered what are the most common size holesaws you guys use for spots and downlights?

Looking to get a few bigish ones to cover different size fittings.

Thanks

Craig

What about one of these?

(linky picture)

Can be any size you likely to need AND no face full of plaster dust, artex and asbestos!

64 is a commen size. I have the bosch electricians kit with the quick change bits which is quite good and that has a 64 mm bit. It also has 20 25 32 bits which is handy for glands etc. Generally I tend to buy the sizes I need and have a lot which is good as they always come in handy for other jobs as well as holes for downlights.

Got a bosch kit... very good hole saws, seem to stay quite sharp as well. Not like the monkey metal jobs from Joe blogs DIY down road.

Also had the Erbaur Electricians set, that lasted me a while, still got some.

Both quick change! very useful to have quick change too.

I have never ever used one of them Apach as put on, i always look at them and think they dont look brilliant. BUT i may and quite possibly could be definitely wrong with that!

64 and 72 are the most common ones i seem to use.

Got a Bosch kit... very good hole saws, seem to stay quite sharp as well. Not like the monkey metal jobs from Joe blogs DIY down road. Also had the Erbaur Electricians set, that lasted me a while, still got some.

Both quick change! very useful to have quick change too.

I have never ever used one of them Apach as put on, i always look at them and think they don't look brilliant. BUT i may and quite possibly could be definitely wrong with that!

64 and 72 are the most common ones i seem to use.
I have one of those adjustable jobbies if anyone wants to buy it could never get on with it, didn't seem to cut very good holes and you have to adjust it each time to change size. Hole saws are the way forward as far as I am concerned.

batty

My thoughts were what if it moves slightly each hole lol

il stick with my trusty bi-metal ones :)

Thanks Guys, yes am thinking of getting the bosch electricians kit, good for starters, then gone by some bigger random sizes.

Anyone know where the cheapest place to buy the bosch set is or bosch hole saws in general?

Thanks again guys.

Don't use the Starrett ones that we use for drilling panels etc. The plasterboard will blunt them in no time, save them for metal, use cheaper ,DIY kits for downlights.
That was going to be my advice, got a couple of cheap multi size holesaw kits for downlighters. Still on the same kit I bought 13 years ago, not quite as sharp as it once was but does the job, although I have just acquired another set.

i tend to pick one up when i buy the lights, usualy fit the same lights and they usually have the right size hole saw. i had to order a 67mm once though

Don't use the Starrett ones that we use for drilling panels etc. The plasterboard will blunt them in no time, save them for metal, use cheaper ,DIY kits for downlights.
Lathe and plaster ceilings are the ones to ruin your holesaws.

Batty

With the Bosch quick release kit, can you use standard replacement hole saws, are do you have to buy the Bosch ones?

With the Bosch quick release kit, can you use standard replacement hole saws, are do you have to buy the Bosch ones?
Standard holesaws fit its the adaptors that are different, you can change the adaptors over if the holesaws wear out and use standard holesaws.