Honeywell Programmer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skystorm

Reaction score
Hi all 

got called to a house to day the client whats the programmer moved from the cupboard to a wall outside . But does not wont the optimizer out side he would like a nice new one put up has anyone done this before and how

Regards  

Hi sorry it is a Honeywell T7043f 1006 Imm Temp Sensor W6060c

honeywellileti%C5%9Fim.jpg

Appears to be this spec:

• Honeywell AQ2002 Outside Temperature Compensated Controller for two heating zones
    Accessories

Immersion flow water temperature sensor

So you want something similar, but without external temp. compensation?

2 choices.

1. Source a unit that handles 2 zones, and has immersion flow temp. sense ( if needed). or

2. Make the unit believe it HAS an external temp reading - since you have the unit, and I don`t, I don`t know if its a thermocouple, PT100, or other system - so can`t tell you how to do that..........

But - if someone has gone to the trouble of having this level of control ( must admit, I`d considered external temp. compensation) ; why wouldn`t you want to use it????

It's becoming standard practice on Housing Association spec to fit a weather compensator to heating system, basically prevents heating from coming on even if programmed too if the outside temp is 20+ degrees. Now elderly and infirm aside who would want the heating on in those temperatures anyhow?!

Think the idea is to stop the tenants setting the programmer up in the winter then not bothering to change it or turn it off in the summer so they are not running up high bills.

It's becoming standard practice on Housing Association spec to fit a weather compensator to heating system, basically prevents heating from coming on even if programmed too if the outside temp is 20+ degrees. Now elderly and infirm aside who would want the heating on in those temperatures anyhow?!

Think the idea is to stop the tenants setting the programmer up in the winter then not bothering to change it or turn it off in the summer so they are not running up high bills.
But the ROOM thermostats do that. If the room is up to 20 degrees (25 for an old person?) the heating does not come on.

Our house runs perfectly well without outside compensation, in fact just about every house does.

I couldn't work out what that controller is tying to do. My only thoughts are it's so complicated that almost certainly nobody understands fully what all the dials do, and it's probably set up wrong anyway.

I would start from scratch. Understand what the heating system comprises of, and design a new control system for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
We fitted these I'm sure on Hotels and Mod buildings where using the outside and several inside sensors it compensated open and closing zone valves to maintain constant set temperatures, along with the hot water controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the ROOM thermostats do that. If the room is up to 20 degrees (25 for an old person?) the heating does not come on.
If the house is up to temperature and the boiler stops firing. then there is a bit of a drop in outside temperature, the thermostat will not call for heat until the the house has lost enough heat to outside to bring it on (and the oldies have probably decided to turn it up after feeling it going a bit cold).

With weather compensation the controls know a drop in temperature is coming before the house cools down.

What you got is rather less of the on/off bursts you get with the stat, but a lower level of heat (rads running cooler) for longer. And generally this allows the boiler to be in condensing mode for longer, therefore more efficient

Optimisation (as the controller pictured is) is compensation with a bit more too it, such as making allowances to the times set if its a very cold day and the time taken to get up to temperature is going to be longer than usual etc

That device however does appear to be very hard to use, I know of one site where one is fitted, I struggled to make head or tail of it (I had the power off to the plant room and when restored, it decided it should be heating the building - this being in the height of summer!) and when I phoned the plumber to see if he know anything about it, he just sighed and admitted he struggled with it as well