House Conversion - New Meters Needed. Please Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martom

Reaction score
Hello, hope someone can explain how the process of new meters works.

I'm working right now on a house conversion - from 2 flats will be converted into 4 flats and communal  area.

So I have 2 meters at present - Will need 5 meters all together and those relocated.

I've got an "Non-half hourly Connections & Metering Application" form from British Gas, but unfortunately it's to complicated for me. Can anyone help/advise on filling out those forms? 

Document attached

Thanks in advance

Martom 

NEW Non-Half Hourly Application V1 0 xls dec 2010.xls

Attachments

• NEW Non-Half Hourly Application V1 0 xls dec 2010.xls
    84.5 KB · Views: 19
I would think that as you are a prospective customer, they are hardly being helpful.. I would think that is a form for their internal use. Who but a loony would send out a form in that format anyway??

What EXACTLY are you trying to do?? do you have TWO supplies now, or one supply with 2 submeters or what?? If you intend each flat to have their own "proper" meter, then you need to get onto the DNO. British gas are not a DNO, just a supplier of tory privatised cheap and nasty electricity sold at inflated prices.... [sorry, had a rant there!!]

Anyway, if you want "proper" meters, it is the DNO for the area that you want..

Where are you??

john..

Hi John, thanks for quick reply. I'm just a spark who is in the middle of rewiring of those flats, I have 1 supply with 2 meters. The owner asked me to solve the supply. This form looks a bit.... whatever.

I will have all the meters in communal hallway, but I'm not able to tell  if the current supply will be enough to run 4 flats. It depends on the supplier - but I will give DNO a call - in my case its UK POWER NETWORKS as it's East Sussex. 

If you have two supplies presently ,two meters = 2 supplies = 2 MPAN's (meter point administration number)

So assuming those two meters are in usable positions and can stay where they are for 2 of the flats, then you need to apply for 3 new supplies to the other 3 flats.  They will have to give you a quote for that.

If the existing 2 are in the wrong place you will also have to ask for a cost to move them to where you want them.

That is the correct form. Unfortunately the one form covers everything from a single domestic supply, to a HV grid connection for say a wind farm. What's not clear is whether you can use the form for 3 new supplies, or whether you need to submit 3 forms, for flat 3, flat 4 and flat 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Martom, do you understand the difference between a supplier and a DNO?? The supplier will have no idea as to the capacity of the supply you have now, OR the network capacity that determines whether they will even give you another supply..... [Obviously they will at a price, you could have your own pylon at a price.... All this is DNO land, in your case UKPN. Just fill in the form and off you go..

john..

Hi Dave, How would a form from British gas [ a mere "supplier"] be the right form to present to UKPN who are the DNO??

Here is a link to the correct form from UKPN to get you a new supply...

http://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/connections/new-or-temporary-supply/

As you can see, easy peasy form, even includes a guide to the cost!!

john..
well that form does give a new connection option?

And it's as complicated as SSE's new connection form.  Good on UK power if they have presented a simpler form than SSE.

Hi Dave,

I wonder if the SSE form is the same as WPD???? as i think, but am not sure, that SSE own WPD???

Anyway, i have sorted two new connections now, both three phase ones. Like you said, the forms are far too general, so what i did, was to just write a simple letter giving all the info and loadings etc. It worked fine!!!!

So long as the "planners" [as they call them] have the info they need, they are happy!! I actually took my form to WPD and handed it in and explained a bit. The nice person there took the letter to show the planners and then came back in about 10 minutes to tell me that all was well, and they had all the info they needed and happy days, i would have a site visit in a few days and then a price a week after that. I was amazed at the low cost too!!! Free 4" diameter ducting, all 25 metres of it and a free meter box as well, and all would be done, [and was] for £1200 and that was for a three phase supply too!! The second one was only about 5 meters ducting etc, but was about £2000 as they had to completely close a road and do it all in one go. Was going to be £3000, but you can haggle with them!!!!!

WPD.... Especially, Rachel Wills from Cwmbran depot.....If you are watching, you are the best!!!!!!

john...

Martom ...I've been informed recently by DNO in my area that , as with your case .... all four flats will require their own supply & meter & Mpan number, also with the meters in each flat , I was told.      They wanted £800 for a second supply  yet the incomer had been upgraded to a 35mm previously.

Prepare for a nightmare !!   AND the owner MUST get his requests for meters in sharpish as they will take forever to get round to you.  

Previous to this ruling , many houses were turned into 2 flats ...quite happily on the original incoming cable but things are different now.   Also its not your property so dealing with that stuff is out of your remit as you need to be the bill payer .   You cannot make any decisions  .

You can only advise the owner .

Latest posts